Mouth reeds

nateysmith

Aug 8, 2013
I just thought that I would start a thread about using mouth reeds.  I am very new to this, but I know some on here have been using them for awhile.  I think this would be a good thread for tips and tactics on how to use them. I have been watching the University of Elk hunting dvd, but any other tips are welcome. Just one more thing that I am wanting to add to my routine to prepare for elk season!

i keep a plastic container in my truck and practice all the time i order them from a guy i know who makes what i like for me 7$ a call makes me what i want. same for turkeys

Practice, Practice, and then more Practice.
Keep it simple to start. There are some basic sounds every elk hunter should be able to make. Its just another tool you can use depending on the style of hunt you are on.
Start with single reeds and simply try to get the high pitch EEEEEE sounds out of a reed to start. How basic should we start here? Which way the call goes? Ect....I am new to calling as well and can say the more you apply yourself and practice. The more realistic you will sound come September. There are some very generous people out there that make great calls and are willing to help you become a better caller.

I use the Primos and Bugling Bulls. Practice makes perfect and watching videos is a great way to learn the behavior of the elk. Barking has been the hardest thing for me to get down, but that's why every morning on my way to work I practice practice practice...  :)

Ok, so I am now currently practicing with the temptress open reed call.  Any tips? I have been practicing on my way in and home from work each day.  Just can't seem to get the sound quite right.  I watched Steve Chappelle's videos on covering your teeth with your lips, applying pressure and then just blowing.  I can get sound, but I don't think it is quite right.

** EDIT **

I will try to get a recording so you guys can hear what I sound like.

UtahElkHunter,

Here is a video clip from the manufacturer showing use of the Temptress...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/FEaAuWHopN0[/youtube]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back