MT General Tag NR

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
Does anyone know the draw odds on a general Elk Tag for a Non resident in MT.?
I have joined a website that will tell me draw odds, as well as doing my research for special units after receiving the tag on the Montana Game and Fish website. I have yet to find where the odds are on just getting the general.

The last two years afer the General Draw for the combination tag which is completed around 4/17, there have been approximately 1500 left over tags. This means since the price has increased there have not been sufficient applicants to fill all the combo tags. For the elk only I am not sure of that, but you can check with the MT F&G.

From what I read, for 2012 there were about 3,000 Elk and Elk combo tags total left over. I didn't see the numbers for Deer.
But really with there big price increase they had 2 years ago, a lot of us average Joe's can't afford almost a 1,000.00 for a combo tag. JMO

Kevin

Kevin I am by no means someone that can just throw money around. I am trying to play out a lot of different scenarios and see which one is the best option. If I were to go on a either sex OTC Colorado archery tag hunt it would even out to roughly the same as a MT hunt for me because of the mileage. Now just depending on my research which one is worth it? I'm not sure yet I guess.....

BrentLaBere said:
Kevin I am by no means someone that can just throw money around. I am trying to play out a lot of different scenarios and see which one is the best option. If I were to go on a either sex OTC Colorado archery tag hunt it would even out to roughly the same as a MT hunt for me because of the mileage. Now just depending on my research which one is worth it? I'm not sure yet I guess.....

Don't get me wrong, MT is a great place to hunt, I love it there.
But if money is a issue ?, a Colorado Elk Tag is just under $600.00 I believe ?.
And a MT Elk only tag is about $840.00.
That is a big difference for some people.

Kevin

I'm from Montana and have noticed alot less hunting from "out of staters" in the last few years. The either sex tag for Montana is a pretty good deal, but like it has been said here it costs alot of money if your non-resident. You should just call MT fish and game and see what this years forcast will be and then do the same for colorado. You should try to get in contact with the a wildlife biologist in both states and talk to them. What state are you coming from?

I live in Bismarck, N.D. For me going on a hunt solo the cost actually comes out ahead if I am able to draw in the areas of 410-15 or 798-15. If I cant and try to hunt a just with the general and head further west the cost about averages out to about the same as northern Colorado. (Gas Money) Only problem is I have no idea where to hunt out west in MT. I have been looking at areas like the Lewis & Clark Nation Forrest....
I would like to stay away from grizz country. But would be willing to try it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back