Must have phone Apps?

EatElk

Dec 31, 2012
Here are a few of my Favorites.

Fitness apps: iWod fitness, iCross Wod, iDiablo, Interval timer, and Mapmyrun
Cooking apps: FastPaleo, BigOven, Allrecipes, and Whole foods
Hunting apps: View Ranger, CCW, TWC, and Ballistic AE

There is an elk calling app that I actually used to call in a bull one time. I was bored one evening and started playing with the app. Bull came in screaming! I didnt get the bull, but sure was alot of fun!

Was looking at getting the back country navigator. Used Google earth last yr and worked ok. Anybody know if the Back Country Navigator is any better?

Elkoholic said:
Was looking at getting the back country navigator. Used Google earth last yr and worked ok. Anybody know if the Back Country Navigator is any better?

Much better.  Several other threads around that talk about Backcountry.  Just buy it, you wont be disappointed.

BullHunter said:
google earth and topo maps are the best. no need for a phone app.

Backcountry Navigator's aerial images are WAY better than Google Earth's and I have topo maps of all my areas on there as well.  So instead of looking at google earth at home then maps in the field it's all in one place with me all the time.

I have an iPhone 5 and Backcountry Navigator is only an android app, but it sounds like Gaia GPS is the iphone equivalent. For now I'm using MotionX GPS its free and pretty powerful. These apps with the right phones are as good as most GPS units and alot cheaper..
I also use some archery scoring apps for indoor targets and 3D shoots.

EatElk said:
I have the iPhone 5 as well. Does that app work without cell signal?

Thanks

Yep it uses the GPS so you don't need coverage. But you do have to download the area you want before your trip if you want to see the photo or roads..

I have and Iphone 4s  and an Ipad and I have the cabelas recon hunt, cabelas recon maps and google earth. I love being able to sit with cabelas recon maps and google earth and look at my hunting areas and find new spots to check out.

For sighting in for my bow I like using targetmate. I number my arrows and then record them that way - real helpful for getting everything just right.

Target mate is basically a "scoring" style app, but it also shows you patterns. You select what target you are shooting at and start shooting. The app shows a visual of the target - as I collect my arrows I touch the screen where the arrow hit. The arrows are all numbered and it remembers the order of your shots. I shoot a few rounds, then I look at my patterns. For instance I have it show only the first arrow I shot for each round and look at that pattern. You can look at patterns by arrow number, round, distance, etc. A person could certainly use if for scoring because it keeps your score, but I use it more for watching patterns so I can fine tune my settings. Also you can make comments, so I often put notes on my set-up in there. Once I used it to see how far my arrows drifted during high winds. That was a real education - I didn't think they moved as much as they did. If you are a data geek you can also ask it to export all the information into a spreadsheet and then you could really play around with it. It only has target faces though. I wish it had all the 3-d targets as well.

Anybody used Trimble Outdoors Navigator Pro?  How does it compare to backcountry navigator/Google earth?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back