Muzzle loader

billg

Dec 29, 2012
New to ML hunting, but like the idea of having a weapon in my hands that can handle out to 200yds or so during the rut. Anyone have lessons learned about muzzle loading they want to share?--Bill

Uniformity is important, each shot should be loaded exactly the same, tapped down to the same level, bullet placed to the same level, etc. Switching primers really can make a big difference.

Once you find a good load just keep practicing with it.......oh and I have never been able to get even 20 shots without cleaning the barrel unlike some of the claims made on tv.

Lastly, most folks I know can't consistently shoot a muzzle loader well at 200 yards without a scope. I don't know if your regulations allow that or not.

200 is too far for me since a scope is illegal here. I can keep a tight group out to 125. All my shots on deer and elk have been under 100 yards so far.
Looking forward to next season.

Backpack Hunter said:
Uniformity is important, each shot should be loaded exactly the same, tapped down to the same level, bullet placed to the same level, etc. Switching primers really can make a big difference.

Once you find a good load just keep practicing with it.......oh and I have never been able to get even 20 shots without cleaning the barrel unlike some of the claims made on tv.

Lastly, most folks I know can't consistently shoot a muzzle loader well at 200 yards without a scope. I don't know if your regulations allow that or not.

Excellent info here.
I will add one thing to it, the tighter your bullet fits your barrel the better, as a general rule, it will produce better groups. IMHO

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back