My 2017 Idaho archery hunt

What a beautiful bull, great video, and great job!
Way to stick it out and get it done!  :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

The country you hunted looked neat and I am very jealous of the snow.

nice bull and video.

making all the video must have been quite a task.  how did you keep it from becoming a distraction? 

as others have said..... beautiful country.  thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  The video actually helped keep me sane when I was by myself.  The only distraction was the GoPro hero 5 constantly failing because of the cold.  I had it mounted to my bow when I took the shot, but unfortunately it wasn't working.

Congrats on a great bull.  Nice job on the video.  It takes more work than most imagine just to add a few extra scenes.  Just so you know it is illegal to have anything with a battery attached to your bow or arrows.  I know it's an outdated rule, but it's still in the regs.  Same with lighted knocks-no way would it help give any one an unfair advantage harvesting an animal.  The only advantage is to able to see where the arrow hits way easier.  Idaho is just behind most states with laws keeping up with technology.  If you stick your camera on your hat you'll get a similar view minus the huge vibration at the shot you'll get on your bow.   

lang said:
Congrats on a great bull.  Nice job on the video.  It takes more work than most imagine just to add a few extra scenes.  Just so you know it is illegal to have anything with a battery attached to your bow or arrows.  I know it's an outdated rule, but it's still in the regs.  Same with lighted knocks-no way would it help give any one an unfair advantage harvesting an animal.  The only advantage is to able to see where the arrow hits way easier.  Idaho is just behind most states with laws keeping up with technology.  If you stick your camera on your hat you'll get a similar view minus the huge vibration at the shot you'll get on your bow. 
Thanks.  Filming gave me something to do to keep my sanity while I was alone.
I was aware of the rules, but didn't even think of it for the GoPro.  I actually removed my lighted sights and nocks before the trip.  I've tried putting the GoPro on my head, but the attachment/elastic gives me a headache, plus it doesn't capture the shot as my head is partially turned.  I need to come up with a solution for this.  I'm still mad that the GoPro wouldn't function in the cold, I would've had some incredible footage.

It is so tough solo.  I actually went with a solved cam strap this year.  No footage with it but it lets you hook up any camera so you call pull it off and zoom anytime.  So your video you would have gotten the bulls fighting where could actually see them.  You can't get anything past 30 or 40 yards with action cams.

I might have to look into that.  Most of everything was filmed with my cell phone.  The GoPro Hero 5 Session wouldn't work in the cold. I took the time lapse at the end with it after warming it up in my coat. I wrote a scathing review, but Cabelas wouldn't publish it.  I was really bummed b/c when the two bulls were fighting I kept fooling with the GoPro to get it on film.  Like you said though, just too far away without zoom.

The solved strap goes to one side so it gives a great angle just to the side of the bow.  As far as I have seen it is the best way to go to self film.  The biggest seller for me was having a little more zoom than action cams.  I feel your pain about the footage missed.  My 2016 bull would've been perfect, came in bugling and oblivious to 30 yards.  It was the final factor in me finally giving solved a try.  I've also taken a lion while elk hunting at 20 yards, and had a bull bugle and rake the bush I was standing behind.  I'd give just about anything to have some of those experiences on film.

I thought my elk was likely 3.5-4.5. I can't believe he's this old.
https://imgur.com/tJuYCWg

Thanks for sharing!  Always looking for DIY youtube videos to watch.  IMOP much better then tv canned hunts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back