My DIY Opening Weekend Solo Colorado Elk Hunt

huntography

Dec 29, 2012
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409587497.134155.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Personal challenge: Do a solo DIY backcountry elk hunt over Labor Day weekend.

After 2 days of on/off heavy rain, hail and lightning at 10,000 ft, I had a great experience.

Had a moose at 10 yards. No tag but really exciting.

Had 5 Muley\'s, 1 170ish velvet buck and 4 does all at 20 or less yards. No tag :)

Still hunted my way into 2 cow elk. Both at 39 yards. Lead cow behind brush and 2nd cow broadside behind an aspen. Lead cow winded me and both took off up the ridge.

2 more steps is all I needed for a kneeling 39 yard shot.

30 minutes later lightning bolts started hitting all around me and being alone with a lightning rod in my hand, it was time to head off the mountain.

I walked a mile back to my spike camp. Packed everything in the thunderstorm and made my 2 mile hike back to the truck.

A great opening weekend experience. 1E/S tag and 1 cow tag. 1 more month to go :)

Can\'t wait to get back up there.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409587497.134155.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409587497.134155.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 255
\"zpd307\" said:
I sure am glad that we aren\'t going to be fighting the rain when we go....

My forecast didn\'t call for that much non stop rain. Mountain weather is unpredictable.

Rudy

Sounds like a good tune up before the big action starts Rudy!
It\'s nice to get your sea legs under you.

Sounds like a great time ... like a good football coach, you\'re starting out by \"testing the waters\" before making your move. As Brad says, elk hunting is like chess ... as the game goes along, you start to see with more clarity where the final play will be.

That\'s some rough camping for that kind of weather, man. Let\'s hope it starts to dry up a bit out there.

Keep on keepin\' on and dodge all that lightin\'... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lookin\' forward to hearin\' more from ya... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back