my pack weighs 60 pounds!

coloelko

Jul 19, 2013
Yikes!  I leave tomorrow and my pack is a bit heavy. I'll go thru it and try to cut some weight. Wish me luck!    Gotta get some better lighter stuff for next year I guess. :eek: Any tips for a broke fella to lighten hits pack?

Take some "Stuff" out...Sorry...I shouldn't be a smart Ass. There was a great article on Pack gear lists and Pack weights, I believe it was in the latest Extreme Elk Magazine(Fall Edition). Check it out if you haven't already. I personally can't match the weights they can get down to...but I have reduced some. Good Luck!!!

The GIF sneaks in every chance it gets!
Make sure you have a well versed list to take, in other words take stuff you need and leave the "what if" stuff at the truck/trail head etc.

Short of that beg, borrow, or buy lighter stuff, don't stop shopping for deals!

Yeah I'm already making a list on what to get for next year, like a different sleeping bag, different pack, lighter game processing items, and so on.  The weight sucks for sure, but the bulk of some of my ''stuff''is not good either.

I have spent this last year working towards getting my pack lighter. I had a 56-60 lbs pack last year and as of tonight (I am going out for 5 days for the colorado opener) I was at a doable 45 lbs. I still need a better/lighter sleeping bag and I would love a new pack but I have saved a ton of weight by replacing my tent with a bivy, a 2 lb thermarest with a 14 oz one and a gsi halulite minimalist and a smaller fuel canister. I also have a pack list and I always try to see what is not used or unneeded that has helped alot as well. I am always on craigslist in search of some good gear and here in colorado its not hard to find. good luck this season!

That's roughly what mine weighs but I have cut it down to about 35-40 pounds. It's tough trying to eliminate items you believe you should take along but everyone has different ideas of what they should take with them. Good luck trying to eliminate some items.

I think I might be pushing 70 right now....  OUCH! I am hauling extra though because I'm taking my 15 YO son on his first backcountry hunting trip and I didn't want to saddle him with so much that he hates it! Lol.  His rig is about 30#.  Gonna be a fun hike in today!!

I am with you on not having a lot of money for gear. kind of late for anything major this trip, aside from making tough decision on what to leave.
in the future Look at the big three,: sleeping bag, tent, and pack those will make the bulk of the weight and mass. there are tons of gear list out there for reference,
http://elk101.com/2013/07/backcountry-gear-5-day-checklist/
good luck

Right now for a 10 day backpack trip I am at 59 lbs 9 oz. I am scratching my head at how to make it lighter but we will see how it works out and what I cut out before next week. Are you weighing all of you gear you would be wearing? Boots, pants, gaiters, socks, ect.....Thats one thing I found out that was "adding" to my weight vs others.

Check out Huntin fool, Garth carter has great articles on getting to a 20# pack.. Though if you carry a eberlestock like me.. That's half your dang weight!!! Good luck everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back