my scouting trip ideas

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
Just wondered what you guys thought about what I think should be my ideal places to look on my uncoming scout trip. This is my first attempt at elk and looking into scouting myself, but from what Ive learned from you guys this is my take on things. Ill be entering area from north east, the area in south east looks to have the least amout of timber on satelite and the circles are where I consider the best places to look first. that larger area to the middle left has the most dense timber but I dont see much that isnt vertical.

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->markup post 2.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

That area to the north east is almost totally encircled looks like it might be one of the coolest places as far as temps are concerned but thats a guess on my part?

Attachments

• markup post 2.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 286
I like the elevation.

I have placed 3 big red arrows that show spots that I would definitely check out.
They are saddles, flat spots, and small openings.

You will be good by entering from the NE as the thermals are in your favor.
I drew a line where I would traverse thru the area, hitting the key spots.

One thing to remember when scouting and if you find elk sign...

Ask yourself \'WHY are the elk here?\'

Its like a puzzle putting all the pieces together

Attachments

• markup post 2.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 279
Two questions for you:

1) Is there any way to get an idea on the distances on this map? Any legend or anything? The reason I ask is, at the distances I am thinking, those hills are STEEP. If that is the case, you will get a good idea on the number of elk in the area based on game trails. In steep areas, I typically will always find heavily used game trails traversing the hillsides in areas that hold elk. These can lead to bedding areas, feeding areas, water, etc. Something to think about.

2) Do you have an aerial pic of the area? It would be good to know what the terrain looks like. I know you mentioned some areas are open and some are heavily timbered, but it would still help. One thing I would be on the lookout for is open areas up high where you can glass. If this area is as steep as it looks, there should be some great vantage points where you can get up high and cover a lot of ground with your eyes. These are definitely worth trying to find on the scouting trip as well.

I like what Brad\'s trail looks like for the most part. I would, at some point, like to look at that bench you circled as well. The only potential issue with that is it doesn\'t have a bunch in terms of escape routes for the elk, but it is about the only flat area around from the looks of things.

From the far ne corner of the map to the flat I circled (larger one) is about 1.5 miles as the crow flies, just for reference. I couldn\'t get the terrain to overlap with the elevation on the site I used. I\'ll try to use another web site combining the two.

I\'m pretty sure that finding a spot to glass from is going to be easy, but then billy goat mode will be required.

Would you think the thermals will be more predictable in an area steep like this or not? With it this rugged id think the thermals would be quit strong?

I would think early mornings would be pretty darn cool at the bases of those mountains.

The morning thermals will be going down the side draws and down the main canyon. Looks to be about 2000\' elevation gain btm to top.

\"Bob Frapples\" said:
From the far ne corner of the map to the flat I circled (larger one) is about 1.5 miles as the crow flies, just for reference.

That is about what I was thinking. Have you been in this area at all before? You have 1,500 - 2,000 ft of elevation gains in about a 1/2 mile distance. That is pretty dang steep if you ask me. The good news is that you will not find many hunters in there! I used to hunt a place somewhat similar to this. It will take some hard work to get up high to where you need to be. And getting one out will be just as difficult. But it could be very rewarding if you are willing to work.

As far as billy goat status, I think it would be easier to hike to the top of one of those peaks (especially if you are already going to be 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up it to hunt it) than it would be to hike up and down each one individually. Let your eyes do some of the work for you instead of your legs.

What does the PBxx mean? It\'s not in the legend and there is no ryme or reason to what I see on the map?
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->image.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 209
\"Bob Frapples\" said:
What does the PBxx mean? It\'s not in the legend and there is no ryme or reason to what I see on the map?

PB - Protracted Block.

\"That PB stands for \'Protracted Block\', which is an unsurveyed area (of uncertain acreage) of which parts of, but not the entire, boundary has been surveyed. These ?PBs? will be found most often in areas with complete or partial section surveys, such as in mining districts, areas with private inholdings or along Federal land boundaries.\"

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lcnf/maps-pubs/?cid=STELPRDB5444282

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back