My son got a BIG one!

Glacier Country

Nov 13, 2013
My Son My wife and I headed out on opening day of the MT rifle season. My son got a really nice bull. My Wife and I did some calling and we all worked in on the herd. We saw the Bull and Schafer got set up to Shoot. He made a couple great shots with a 7mm-08 to put the bull down. I think the first one did the trick but I had him shoot again just to be sure.This is the first day he could hunt with a rifle in MT! He came close with his bow a few times but With only one day a week to go after them because of football that was tough to pull off. We came very close though several times. He is a World Champion Elk caller so I guess this is a fitting first Elk. A great Team Effort For all of us. A very proud moment for all of us as well.[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->IMG_1045Resize1.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_1045Resize1.jpg
    IMG_1045Resize1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 310
Congrats Schafer! An awesome bull.
One heck of an elk team, nice work guys.

Congratulations to your son. That\'s one he will remember for years to come.

Congratulations to your son. That is certainly a great bull. I like it that he killed it with a 7mm-08. You sure don\'t need a huge magnum if you shoot them in the right area.

Thanks guys, it was a very special day. It was a team effort. I have waited for that moment since he was a baby. I just couldn\'t quit giggling.It was a, Great day, great shooting, Great bull, great job of calling... The only thing that might have made it a little sweeter is if we would have gotten it all on video.
Funny thing is ...
I was Questioning wether we should hunt this spot or another 80 or 90 miles away. I thought we might have a better chance on the other bull. We decided to go a different direction,ultimately because of weather and the grizzly tracks I saw when scouting.

I passed up a little 5 pt bull today. Which here,is just flat out crazy. We don\'t need the meat now so I am just out to enjoy the hunt.

Schafer wanted to use the 7mm-08 because it is a youth model that just fits him better. He shoots it well and so I had no problem letting him use that.

I learned this the hard way with my wife years ago. I had a 270 Win she didn\'t like to shoot. and she would miss because she was sensitive to the recoil,but mostly because it didn\'t fit her. Now she shoots a different 270 Win that has a shorter stock and a really good recoil pad. She does take a youth model 7mm-08 sometimes ,also because it is short, light, mild recoil, and easy to handle. A great caliber that has become somewhat popular and ammo is pretty easy to find although somewhat expensive .

I would also like to give a Thank You, Shout Out to our friends Ian ( Who I now call (\"Beast Mode\") and his wife Rebecca for their help packing out this elk. Thanks So much . Troy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back