My Wife shot a bull Today

elkmtngear

Aug 9, 2017
pattybull_zpsp8rjqx6z.jpg

OK, not an elk. But look how fast I got your attention :lol:

A landowner friend of mine had recently moved all his cattle up to Oregon...except for one rogue bull calf that had gotten away. He told me I could have him if I wanted him.

My Wife had been shooting with me in the evenings for about 3 months (she was getting really good). When I told her about the bull calf, she said, \"could I shoot him\"? Why not, I thought :think:

It took two shots (lot of adrenalin going on the first one)...but she finally put him down. We actually had to stalk in to him shielding with the Moo Cow Decoy in the middle of an open field (we shadowed him for a good 500 yards after the first hit, which was WAY too far back).

She was very excited, it was the first time she had shot at a live animal. She was very interested in the process of breaking down the animal, and being a critical care RN, seemed to appreciate the clinical aspects of the animal\'s death (which we observed very closely), as well as the anatomy lesson.

All in all, it was a good way to introduce her to hunting, and we had a great Morning together! :upthumb:

A Pope and Young experience for sure! Nice work! Simply awesome. Jeff....maybe now you will have another hunting buddy! :clap:
She prolly won\'t mind you cuddling up as some of your other hunting buddies might!

\"mtnmutt\" said:
Nice.

Looks like a Mathews bow. What broadhead did she use?

Patricia,

My Wife (Patricia) used some Bear Superlight 2 blade heads that I had in a drawer (I have killed many elk with them in past Years).

I got them scary sharp, and I was pleased that both arrows were complete pass through shots at 20 yards with just a 40 pound bow.

She is shooting a Matthews/Mission Riot, Left handed.

Congrats.... Must say though this is a first of hearing about someone hunting a cow. Sure will taste great.

\"zpd307\" said:
:upthumb: sounds fun, shooting cattle with a bow!

Gary, it was actually a lot tougher than I thought it would be. The calf was really acting wild, and wasn\'t going to let us just walk up and shoot him. Every time he saw one of us move, he would take off. My Wife learned a little about stalking. It was really fun. :D

With 1000 acres to roam on, I was glad we were able to locate and put him down relatively quickly.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
I got them scary sharp, and I was pleased that both arrows were complete pass through shots at 20 yards with just a 40 pound bow.

She is shooting a Matthews/Mission Riot, Left handed.

Impressive.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
that is darn cool!!

and a lot of meat!!! any troubles with meat handling in this heat?

Cliff, I was able to drive very close to the bull, within 100 yds. I had an old sleeping bag with me, and two 20 pound bags of ice. Quarters/loin/neck and rib meat went under ice right away (in the pantyhose). Took us a little over an hour to break him down and bag him, and she was fascinated by the whole process.

Everything looks and smells great...got it all hanging in my cold room :upthumb:

Congrats.... Good practice for her. I am impressed she had pass through with 40# at 20 yards. Good eatin :upthumb:

\"vthokee\" said:
Congrats.... Must say though this is a first of hearing about someone hunting a cow. Sure will taste great.

dang I only wish this was the first we run cattle on the forest have found where others have butchered out one of our calves . I say I wish I could catch them but in all reality it is probably better that I don\'t scared about what I might do :evil:

\"Tdiesel\" said:
\"vthokee\" said:

dang I only wish this was the first we run cattle on the forest have found where others have butchered out one of our calves . I say I wish I could catch them but in all reality it is probably better that I don\'t scared about what I might do :evil:

Sorry to hear that happens, Tod. If I caught someone else doing it on his ranch...I\'m sort of afraid of what I might do!

This Landowner has been very good to me, and I realize the value of this gift. Prime veal is precious.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back