Mystery Ranch or Kifaru

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
Considering upgrading my pack from my trusty Eberlestock J101 to either a Metcalf or Timberline.  My typical pack weight going in is around 60 lbs and its hopefully 80-100 lbs coming out.  Once I'm hunitng I cinch it down and have it on for the duration of the trip as a day pack.

My J101 is a good pack but when loaded I just don't like how it carries a load (out vs up and down).  Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on which of these two packs would be the more comfortable and functional option when fully loaded. 

Just as importantaly, anything you don't like about either of these packs (other than the price!).

BT

Both companies make great packs. I have had packs from them both and each have their pro's and con's. Another companie you might want to look at is Stone Glacier. In my opinion those are the top three companies making quality packs.

My preference would be the Timberline.  I purchased mine with aluminum stays for the ability to get a correct fit, but you can get the carbon composites for a couple ounces less weight. Either way they are lightweight, lots of volume, super comfortable, very modular, will fit correctly, have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA.

I purchased a M.R. Longbow back in August. I love it. Packed out 2 loads of 90+#'s of boneless yummies with it too.
I sold my Kifaru.Longbow just fits me better.

I use the MR Longbow as well. I have not hauled a load of meat with it yet, but am happy to hear the report by EricB. I don't have any experience with Kifaru, but like MR they have a great reputation.

The Metcalf was not available when I was pack shopping. And I can't justify getting the Metcalf, as my Longbow is only a year old and holds everything I need it to hold for 5 day trips. But if I was buying my first MR pack it would be the Metcalf.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back