Need a Tent for AK

emiller35

Jul 8, 2017
Alright looking into some options for a fly in Caribou hunt next September (2019). There will be 3 of us and ideally we would like to share a tent, but not at all necessary since we are all big guys (6?3 220) . Weather is supposed to be mild (50-60 during the day and 20-30 at night) with the possibility of rain/sleet. Haven?t really decided on a price range because my main issue is weight. Have to Keep it under 60ish lbs including food, stove, clothes, pack, shelter and rifle per pilots demands. Was looking at a sawtooth tipi style but also open to other ideas. Any one done a trip and have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I done AK a couple times.

There are some options and questions to help better answer

1- Do you know if the area has trees?

2- Are you going DIY or guided? Or hiring an air taxi for flight in/out?

3- Its not uncommon for a group of guys (3) to ante up and pay for another flight trip that has misc gear to have a really nice camp

cnelk said:
I done AK a couple times.

There are some options and questions to help better answer

1- Do you know if the area has trees?

2- Are you going DIY or guided? Or hiring an air taxi for flight in/out?

3- Its not uncommon for a group of guys (3) to ante up and pay for another flight trip that has misc gear to have a really nice camp

Unsure of the trees, it our bush pilot mentioned it was open tundra, so probably nothing more than some shrubbery.

We are DIY but have an air taxi/guide service flying us out and back.

Looking into that but figured I?d seen what the options were for a ?packable? tent/tipi first.

Thanks for any help!

My buddy and I used this tent for our AK moose hunt a couple years ago.

Not much room - basically laying side by side.

Getting geared up without being able to stand each morning really sucked.

But it was light

We used this one out on the tundra hunting caribou
Much more room, being able to at least stand was nice

Not very light

You should be able to get by with 2 tents for 3 guys. Odd man out will have to stow gear in that tent.

Bring tarps

As far as weight, you can figure:

Food - 1lb/day per person

Sleep system - 6-7lb/ person

Misc Gear is where it really adds up. Be sure not to double up gear with buddies.

Tip: The pilot will weight the gear bags before you board the plane.
That means you wear as much heavy clothes as you can on the flight in/out. If you're bringing hip boots, wear them.

Thanks for the info! Which tent make/model is the one you used for the tundra hunt? Looks to be a good sized tent. I was looking into a tipi style or possibly going with an MSR ELIXIR 4

That tundra tent was the ol Alaskan Guide tent.

here is a link to the newer one - https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide-Model-Geodesic-Tent-with-Fiberglass-Poles-Person/714588.uts?productVariantId=1634728&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50032173&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ZDGq4-w2gIVhgJpCh2yVwjjEAYYASABEgJ5dPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dont be too concerned with the overall weight of the tent as it factors for all 3 of your gear - 25lb / 3 = 8.3lbs each

With your 60lb restriction, Im guessing the pilot is using a Super Cub?
If so, Cub pilots like smaller gear bags they can stuff into the fuselage, filling up nooks and crannies.
Large gear bags are cumbersome to pack in there

On our caribou hunt,we flew out on a Beaver. We took the kitchen sink in one trip

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back