Need help, doing a hunt in colorado in november

K9Kodi

Aug 20, 2015
Hello all.  I have just found out today I will be doing a hunt in November, I believe the 11-15.  I will be hunting for elk.  I am from Virginia, Virginia Beach exactly.  I have a few questions that maybe yall can help me out with.
1) Can I purchase an elk tag on the interwebs prior to my departure
2) Ive never flown with a rifle before.  The plane tickets I have been seeing all have 2 stops.  Would it be better for me to send my rifle in the mail to my buddy and have him bring it on the hunt, or would you guys be okay with packing it on the plane.
3) Boots.....I hunt the east coast.  I do a lot of stand hunting.  For that reason it gets cold and sitting in a tree stand I need thick warm boots.  I have and use Much Artic Rangers.  I know they are warm and waterproof, but what do you guys suggest for hunting elk, I suppose there will be moderate sitting a long with a lot of hiking for spot and stalk.
4) Im sure I have enough rifle, Im bringing my weatherby bolt gun chambered in .338 win mag and burris glass. I do hand loads, and Im shooting 225 grain noslers

Yes I understand, this is semi last minute.  Im 32 and I have always wanted to hunt out west.  I grew up with my buddy and hunted a lot with him growing up.  He joined the military and was stationed in Colorado but we could never link up for a  hunt as the special forces had him out of country a lot.  About 8 months ago he had a parachute accident that almost cost him his life, but is ultimately getting him discharged.  He is probably moving back here and since hes been having such a hard time coping with what life has dished out I figured it would be a great time to make this hunt happen.  If you guys have any suggestions please let me know.  Im a sea level guy, but im in great shape for it.  32 years old, Im a K9 officer and work out religiously.  I understand there is no real training to get me ready for 8-10k feet, but ill be working on my cardio.  Thank you in advance.

I can't help you much on the purchasing online question. 

I have flown with a rifle before and there's has been absolutely no issues to this point.  I have sent a rifle before and it got the hell beat out of it.  Would advise against sending it.

I never recommend insulated boots for mountain hunting unless its late really late season.  They don't breath well and you end up with soaked feet and blisters.  You are going midseason so I don't think cold will be a problem.  I would recommend to you uninsulated boots from Danner, Lowa, Kenetrek, or Cabelas Meindl.  Yes they cost a lot more but should last 5+ years.  When I treestand hunt in Illinois I use Sorels, but I wouldn't consider those for mountain hunting...food for thought. 
I would also recommend that you don't skimp on a pack.  Badlands, mystery ranch, Exo Mt gear, Sitka, Kuiu, or Stone glacier come to mind..  A good pack is worth it's weight in gold.
No issue at all with your rifle/bullet choices. 

I hope you have a great adventure. Take lots of pictures because it'll be all you think about when you think western hunting. Good luck! 

Have you purchased a license yet? There definetely aren't many licenses left for then and they are not over the counter for that season. That would be my first priority is getting a license first before plannin a whole trip

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

But as stated above the November 4th season in Colorado can be cold cold cold. I would get insulated boots there's gonna be anywhere from no snow to a few feet of snow.

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

I flew to Salt Lake City a couple months ago with no problems. Get a good solid case and TSA locks and you shouldn't have a problem. Leave the Much boots at home. You need a pair with stiff soles and ankle support. I use uninsulated Pronghorns and layer with good socks. As stated, better buy the tag first.

I have been looking more and more into the Sitka optifade gear.  Their jackets and pants look like good stuff. As for boots, I may get some good cabelas boots, but we don't have one local and I hate buying things sight unseen.  I may be buying some solomons instead.  I can get them local and fairly cheap.  They are Gore-Tex as well.

As for the pack, I guess my question is are yall using frame packs or no.  I have a very good 3 day pack by a local company, London bridge trading.  Its up there with the brands mentioned. 

Licenses, I thought Va was confusing.  From what I gathered, the 2 and 3 season in the areas around Durango are unlimited over the counter.  Please help me if im wrong.

Nov 11-I 5 is fourth season which is a draw. 2nd and 3rd are otc. Good luck we're leaving from va sept 10th for archery.

If you haven't bought a tag yet ur most likely gonna have to buy and OTC 2nd or 3rd season bull, but that doesn't cover all areas, let me check the left over and Durango units and if I find a 4th season leftover tag for that area I'll give you the hunt codes to help you out

From what I just seen there are 0 tags for any unit around Durango, 75,751, there are tags 4th season bull in unit 74,741 but only 8 left so better hurry hunt code is EM074OR4 that is west of Durango units

Im trying to figure this out.  I thought it would be as simple as buying my plane ticket, getting into Durango and buying over the counter tag and then camping and hunting.  I guess not.  I was leaving October 30, and hunting through the 5th. then flying home.  which I believe to be 3rd season rifle

Correct that is 3rd season make sure you buy our tag before midnight on the 30th your other option is to purchase ur bull tag online at home, then when you arrive in Durango you can go to any license dealer and pick it up, that way of something happens on the 30th and you can't make it you already have ur tag purchased and you can pick it up during the season at a license dealer

I just got off phone with a rep from Colorado and they informed me everything around Durango for the rifle season, October 31-November 8 or 9 is over the counter and unlimited

Oh I'm sure I will. I live for deer and duck around here. My father used to live in Colorado and tells me all the time I need to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back