New Bows

Pat

Feb 9, 2014
Finally layed the 10 year old Bowtech Patriot down and shot over 14 new bows.  Shot different models from Hoyt, Bowtech, Matthews, Bear, Prime and Elite.  Although all bows shot fairly nice, it came down to two bows, the Hoyt Faktor Turbo and the Matthews Chill R.  The Hoyt hands down shot and felt the best for me.  It has a much smoother draw and release.  The Chill wasn't bad by any means just not as good for me.  The Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo was every bit as sweet as the Faktor but both shot exactly the same.  The Faktor was I believe 1/2 pound heavier and $600 less.  I went in with full intention of being open minded but was leaning toward a higher brace height bow however there was no noticeable difference in shootability from 6" to 7 1/4" brace height and I actually felt more comfortable and shot better with the Faktor.  It has been a long time since I shot a new bow and man they have changed.  Just thought I'd share this.

Thanks Pap

I'm looking to a Hoyt Faktor to succeed my faithful '02 Ultra Tec and I read your post with interest...it'll be interesting to see the difference, given how technology has progressed

i too am in the market and have shot them all as well i did like the chill being a Matthews shooter already i was pulling for them but after shooting im down to the Bowtech experience or The Elite 35 i didnt care for the grip on the Chill that was my ruling out factor on it i am so torn on which one to get iv decided to wait a month and go shoot again before i decide. i would really like to shoot the Bowtech 360 before i buy. its been ten years since my last bow buy and you are right my god how slick these new bows are makes mine old one feel like a club 

I have shot a mathews for the last five years but leaning towards a hoyt this year. Looking at the spyder turbo and the faktor. I'll head in on Monday and shoot them. Can't wait for the up coming season.

Just traded my Mathews Z7 Magnum. After 18 years of shooting nothing but Mathews I've made the switch to Hoyt this year.  After shooting the Carboon Spyder Turbo I just couldn't pass on it. Smooth-smooth-smooth.

So? How'd you guys who shot the Faktor get on? Anyone take the plunge and lay down their hardearned cash?

KBar70 said:
So? How'd you guys who shot the Faktor get on? Anyone take the plunge and lay down their hardearned cash?

i didnt care for it not that it is a bad bow just have yet to find a hoyt that fits me when i shoot my money is down on the elite 35

I picked up my Hoyt Faktor Turbo on Friday 3-14.  Brought it home, had it dialed in at 20 yards within minutes.  Although it really does come down to personal preference this bow by far shot better "for me" than anything else.  I put a good 60 -70 arrows total through a lot of other bows at the archery shop.  Everytime I shot one I liked I picked the Faktor back up and shot it just to make sure.  I went in really open minded.  Some bows shot nice, some I did not like at all.  After shooting so many, for me it was no choice.  The Carbon Spyder was a great bow too, but for me it shot absolutely no different than the Faktor.  The Faktor basically comes with all the same features just not the carbon and its about $550 less and only 1/2 pound heavier.  I typically go for higher brace height bows because of my shooting style, but the Faktor Turbo shot as forgiving for me as the higher brace bows.  $900 for the bow accessorised out $1500.  Not a big fan of dumping that much on a bow set up but since I typivcally keep a bow 8-10 years and considering how sweet this bow shot, I took the plunge. 

Shot all bows this year. Was hopin to get the new Hoyt carbon or chill r. After shooting Prime Alloy, ChillR, Carbon spyder, DNA SP, and Elite Energy 32. Well for me it was Easy. The Energy 32. All nice bows however. The Elite was what I was looking for.

Just picked up my elite energy 35 today. Ordered it back in November. I've shot them all, I love the way an elite feels, smooth, super quiet, not a speed demon but hopefully with 80# limbs that'll help out. Just got the big limbs cuz I've never had a bow with heavy limbs. Good luck with your Hoyt, maybe next year I'll trade in on a Hoyt but right now, I'm an elite fan.

I can honestly say there was no bad bows that I shot including the Elite's.  I really didn't care about the make as long as it felt right.  I will admit that I did rule out the Carbon Spyder just on price.  Even if it would have shot the best, the others were not bad shooters that would allow me to justify that kind of price tag.  The last two bows I had hanging, after I narrowed it down, was the Faktor Turbo and the Matthews Chill R.  In the past I was a Hoyt shooter.  When I was in the market to buy, 10 years ago, Bowtech came out with the Patriot.  At that time it shot better forme than anything out there including the Hoyt's.  The Bowtech's I shot this year did not feel bad but the handle is awkward and kind of square.  I could have bought the Carbon Knight for less than the Faktor but it did not even compare in shootability.  In the end it comes down to what feels the best and gives you the confidence.  I've taken over 30 whitetail buck and countless does with bows from Hoyt, Bowtech, Oneida Eagle and even old Bear longbows and recurves.  At the time I used each one, it is what felt best to me and gave me the confidence.  There is really no "bad" bows out there anymore.

Trading in the Alpha Max 32 for the Faktor 34 this year.  I put in my order on Sunday and can't wait to get it.  I can't believe how smooth it is.

This was the first weekend that I actually had some time to do some serious target practice with the Faktor Turbo.  Unreal!  Shot consistent 2" groups out to 35 yards with one pin.  I never thought I would get out to 35 yards with one pin but I did.  The 35 yard group was only about 1 1/2" low from bullseye but grouped, 30 yards was dead on. 

You're right.  There really was no bad bows that I shot and my #2 choice would have been the Chill R.  It has been 10 years since I picked up a new bow and what a difference.

Thanks for the Faktor update, Pap; just giving me more of a reason to drop some coin on a new bow before the year gets too much older!

Sorry I've taken so long to reply.  It took a while to get my Faktor in and then I couldn't get time to shoot it.

so far I am loving this bow.  My Alpha Max 32 was a great bow but the Faktor has made me forget all about it.  I went with the 34  because I need a longer ata.  The Faktor is silky smooth with almost no vibration.  I can hold it on target better than any bow I've had in the past.  I have absolutely no regrets in buying this bow.

The only problem that I am having is with my sight.  I have Black Gold Ascent and I can not get enough left adjustment out of it.  I took my bow into my pro shop and they checked and everything was in tune and they didn't see any problems with my form.  They said the sight didn't have enough adjustment in it.  They said Spot Hogg would be my best bet.  Could anybody tell me how much adjustment the Spot Hogg sights have?

Thanks

I'll just add another "plug" for the Faktor. I've shot a Hoyt for over 10 years now, and love how they feel, as well as their reliability. I fully understand it comes down to personal preference, and nearly every manufacturer makes a solid bow now.

I have shot most of the Hoyt bows over the last 10 years...a couple of my favorites were the UltraTec and the Vector 35. I also shot the Element, Spyder, Carbon Spyder, etc...all solid bows as well. However, I shot all the new bows again this year (not just Hoyts) and ended up going with the Faktor 34. I've shot a few thousand arrows through it, and I'll have to say it is the most accurate bow I've shot. It is incredibly forgiving and smooth. I am not a "target" shooter, and I'm not a great shooter, but my groups with this bow are tighter out to a farther distance than with any previous bow I've shot.

I would definitely encourage anyone who is looking at a new bow to at least shoot the Faktor....I am really impressed with its performance so far, and can't wait to get a bear in front of me to confirm... :)

Attachments

• 2014 Hoyt bow.jpg
    2014 Hoyt bow.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
Back