new camo question

Stoneman

Apr 27, 2016
As a rule, do you wash your brand new camo clothes prior to hunting in them? (using scent free no uv brighteners detergent of course)

\"Stoneman\" said:
As a rule, do you wash your brand new camo clothes prior to hunting in them? (using scent free no uv brighteners detergent of course)
Since the majority of my hunting is for whitetails....I do. I use All Free and Clear. It is way cheap than the hunting detergents and it works great.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

i dont.

well, i dont use a hunting specific detergent. i just use some run of the mill scent free stuff to soften the article of clothing.

i play the wind. in my history of hunting..i\'m pretty sure my body is the stinky part of the equation. smelling like some new cotton is the least of my worries.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
i dont.

well, i dont use a hunting specific detergent. i just use some run of the mill scent free stuff to soften the article of clothing.

i play the wind. in my history of hunting..i\'m pretty sure my body is the stinky part of the equation. smelling like some new cotton is the least of my worries.

I agree. Nothing fools a deer\'s nose but \"trying\" be be less stinky is possible when hunting the back 40 for whitetails. If you are hiking a few miles into the backcountry and running and gunning for elk....its best you just stay downwind. :haha:

\"Bowfreak\" said:
If you are hiking a few miles into the backcountry and running and gunning for elk....its best you just stay downwind. :haha:
That\'s my method :D

\"Bowfreak\" said:
I use All Free and Clear. It is way cheap than the hunting detergents and it works great.

Bowfreak - I have used the free and clear and was wondering if it had any brighteners? I know the label says it is free of everything!

Good to hear it works for you too.

The hunting specific laundry detergent has gotten out of hand from a $ perspective.

\"Stoneman\" said:
\"Bowfreak\" said:
I use All Free and Clear. It is way cheap than the hunting detergents and it works great.

Bowfreak - I have used the free and clear and was wondering if it had any brighteners? I know the label says it is free of everything!

Good to hear it works for you too.

The hunting specific laundry detergent has gotten out of hand from a $ perspective.

Stoneman.....I was told it did not but I started snooping around on the internet and found a chart for cloth diapers. These people say that it absolutely does? I will start using something else if I can find it.

The one that seems to be the most promising is Arm and Hammer essential. Based on the chart it is free of everything as is something like sportwash.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html</a><!-- m -->

A little more info:

It looks like the Arm and Hammer stuff is like a unicorn....it doesn\'t exist in reality. I could find it nowhere online.

All Free and Clear (military) is brightener free. The stuff I buy at Dollar General is not.

SOOOOOO.....maybe Daniel can purchase all of the Free and Clear at the commissary and bootleg it to us?

Just curious....the stuff at the commissary is supposed to have a label on it saying it is dye free. Maybe we can get a confirmation from one of our military guys on that?

I wash all of them in Pine Sol (Before I pack them for my elk hunts).

Not sure if it helps, it\'s just a routine I\'ve had for many Years.

\"Bowfreak\" said:
Stoneman.....I was told it did not but I started snooping around on the internet and found a chart for cloth diapers. These people say that it absolutely does? I will start using something else if I can find it.

Yea, I thought it might have something like that. I still will use it for all my base layers and socks.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
I wash all of them in Pine Sol (Before I pack them for my elk hunts).

Not sure if it helps, it\'s just a routine I\'ve had for many Years.

I normally add some baking soda as that is an all natural scent eliminator. But I dare say I would not use \"Pine Sol\" seems to be rather fragrant and more of a synthetic aroma than natural pine.

I just use plain old baking soda. No soap! So what if it doesn\'t get all the dirt out. Dirt is a natural camo color. Right? I\'m more interested in getting the smell out than the dirt.

When in camp. I put my clothes in a bucket of water with a cup or so of baking soda and swirl it around with a stick ant let it soak all night. The next morning I hang it out to dry. By evening it is ready to wear. It is a little stiff but who cares. It limbers up in a hurry and you get baking soda all over your body.

:D :D I\'m like another famous Phil, Duck Dynasty\'s Phil Robertson.... I wash mine in Baby All after the end of the season... The baby smell is gone before the next season starts and then I wash them again when the seasons end... :D :D

That\'s for outerwear I must say...

I wash my layers and socks more often than the other Phil and they are washed in Baby All also... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

I always wash my new stuff in \"Sportwash\" cold water and hang them on the deck to dry.

\"Don K\" said:
I always wash my new stuff in \"Sportwash\" cold water and hang them on the deck to dry.

I got turned on to the stuff last year and that is about all I do. Does that work? Not sure, but I have heard positive things! The anti scent techniques can\'t hurt, but in my opinion there is nothing that can be done other than play the wind against elk critters. All that anti-scent can\'t stop a guy from sweating during the trek!

Ecos Free and Clear - Relatively inexpensive, readily available at walmart, target, etc. It\'s also on that cloth diaper website.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.target.com/p/ecos-free-and-clear-natural-liquid-laundry-detergent-100-oz/-/A-14711214?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BEssentials%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9018720&gclid=CJCG88mMzM0CFVA8gQodle4OUw&gclsrc=aw.ds\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.target.com/p/ecos-free-and-c ... lsrc=aw.ds</a><!-- m -->

\"BuckyHunter13\" said:
Ecos Free and Clear - Relatively inexpensive, readily available at walmart, target, etc. It\'s also on that cloth diaper website.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.target.com/p/ecos-free-and-clear-natural-liquid-laundry-detergent-100-oz/-/A-14711214?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BEssentials%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9018720&gclid=CJCG88mMzM0CFVA8gQodle4OUw&gclsrc=aw.ds\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.target.com/p/ecos-free-and-c ... lsrc=aw.ds</a><!-- m -->

Thanks Bucky. I will pick some of that stuff up!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back