new guy needs help!

Double A

Feb 6, 2019
hi, new to elk hunting.trying to plan a diy hunt in CO. for 2020 was thinking about units 4,5,14 or other units in that area . just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. thinking about going out to scout some in the fall so im not going into this adventure completely blind! ive read these areas can be crowded. im going to be hunting alone not afraid to get away from the roads. I had thought some about using a drop camp but i havent found any that would accommodate just one hunter. would i be better off to camp from my truck so i could move to different areas if need be or try and find a drop camp?Any advice i can get would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I would plan on being mobile for sure. There is lots of access in that area. What season are you planning on hunting?

Double A keep me posted on what you are doing. I'm starting the same hunt sinister zones we are running two groups of two hunters. Base at the truck then pack in. Our hunt will be archery and not locked of zone or time slot. Also looking for similar advice, following for education and brain storming

Another vote for camping from your truck and being mobile. Most OTC rifle units are going to have 'crowding' during 2nd rifle season, that's not something you can really escape. But if you are willing to work hard and get away from the roads, like you said, you can escape the crowds fairly easy.

If you are planning on coming out this fall to scout, have you considered just buying a tag and hunting this year as well? Even buying a cow tag wouldn't be a bad idea. Nothing beats experience, so if you are going to come out anyway, why not carry a rifle with you while you scout?

I would encourage you you not hunt the 2nd/3rd rifle seasons.
It is an absolute zoo.
IMO - It wouldn't be a great experience for you.

Since you asked for assistance, this would be my first option:

Apply for a 1st Rifle Season bull tag.
Last year there was a 98% chance of drawing with 0 PPs.

The hunt code EM003o1R encompasses units 3/4/5/214/301/441, which gives you plenty of room to roam.

cohunter14 said:
If you are planning on coming out this fall to scout, have you considered just buying a tag and hunting this year as well? Even buying a cow tag wouldn't be a bad idea. Nothing beats experience, so if you are going to come out anyway, why not carry a rifle with you while you scout?

I agree

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking about doing that if I'm going to scout. I can buy a cow tag otc for rifle season?

Cow tags will have to purchased thru the draw or leftover draw [there are plenty] for 2nd / 3rd season

Thanks cnelk, if I was to put in for the cow elk draw for this year when do I need to apply? Also for the first rifle season that is April 1 correct? The whole draw and pp thing is a bit confusing to me having never dun it before

Double A

The 2019 Regs will be coming out in Feb.
Application deadline is Tuesday, April 2nd - 8pm MDT [This is new]

One thing you will want to do - and can do now - is to call the CPW and get your Hunter Safety 'Verified'

That is something that often overlooked for new hunters in Colorado.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back