New guy w/ OTC Elk Tag Utah Any Bull

learnintohunt

Jul 29, 2018
Hey guys,

I was listening to the Elk Talk podcast and it brought me over to here. Figure I'd see if there is advice for a new guy looking to rifle hunt the Kamas/Southslope unit in October. I'm not looking for a 300" + bull just looking to harvest my first elk for the freezer.

I dont have a 4 wheeler so I put boots to the ground and hike a lot. When I do this I always seem to not find good areas to glass. I do use my On X app and study the land. I probably just dont grasp the topo yet. The lake I hiked to the other weekend ended up having cattle in the area so I guess all that work for nothing and not a single sign of elk.

I guess my question is should I stick to roads like a billion other road hunters or bite the bullet and keep hitting trails a couple miles in on foot until I find some bulls or stay near roads and glass all day until I find some.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!  :welcome:

Have not hunted your area at all, but my advise would be to find the areas where you can escape roads AND trails. Look for spots where you can get away from both and if they have what elk need (food, water, bedding areas), they could definitely hold elk. Having good glassing spots that are close to roads is never a bad thing either, just make sure they are spots where you are glassing into realistic elk habitat.

We have hunted those units the last two years in October. If you are fit and active, good hunting can be had around lightning ridge on opening weekend. Be prepared to go in at 3:30 or four in the morning to get a spot before anybody else. The entire Salt Lake croud shows up in those units on opening day. Try not to get shot! It?s nearly impossible to get away from roads or ATV trails. Lightning ridge is about the only area free of roads.
Last year we saw one elk that my brother was fortunate enough to bag. A nice 5 x 5 but it was the only elk we saw for almost 2 weeks. With three days left in the season we happened upon a warden and soapstone basin.  He told us there were only 200 elk in the whole unit with 17,000 tags sold. They?re trying to illiminate the herd as there is no winter feed there and the elk move down into the private agriculture and the farmers complain.
The reason we chose that unit was the availability of a $93 depredation cow tag with purchase of otc bull tag. Those prices were for nonresidents. Good luck!

hawker said:
We have hunted those units the last two years in October. If you are fit and active, good hunting can be had around lightning ridge on opening weekend. Be prepared to go in at 3:30 or four in the morning to get a spot before anybody else. The entire Salt Lake croud shows up in those units on opening day. Try not to get shot! It?s nearly impossible to get away from roads or ATV trails. Lightning ridge is about the only area free of roads.
Last year we saw one elk that my brother was fortunate enough to bag. A nice 5 x 5 but it was the only elk we saw for almost 2 weeks. With three days left in the season we happened upon a warden and soapstone basin.  He told us there were only 200 elk in the whole unit with 17,000 tags sold. They?re trying to illiminate the herd as there is no winter feed there and the elk move down into the private agriculture and the farmers complain.
The reason we chose that unit was the availability of a $93 depredation cow tag with purchase of otc bull tag. Those prices were for nonresidents. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips.

If you aren?t afraid to hike steep country and want to get away from people there are several areas on the wasatch that are public and roadless, a lot where they don?t even allow horses. I have my spot and won?t give that up but there?s so much country up there that is low pressure but very difficult hiking especially when you are successful. I?ve heard about the area you are looking at and have heard the same it?s hard to get away from people to many roads. As far as cows in there I wouldn?t worry bout that if the elk sign is there and it?s fresh they are there the cows won?t push them out. Not sure if it?s true but I?ve heard cows and elk digestive system is really similar so therefore they would look for the same food source.

Wade76 said:
If you aren?t afraid to hike steep country and want to get away from people there are several areas on the wasatch that are public and roadless, a lot where they don?t even allow horses. I have my spot and won?t give that up but there?s so much country up there that is low pressure but very difficult hiking especially when you are successful. I?ve heard about the area you are looking at and have heard the same it?s hard to get away from people to many roads. As far as cows in there I wouldn?t worry bout that if the elk sign is there and it?s fresh they are there the cows won?t push them out. Not sure if it?s true but I?ve heard cows and elk digestive system is really similar so therefore they would look for the same food source.
I totally agree with not giving up your spot. If you've done the work why let someone benefit from it if they havent worked themselves. I will however hunts my tail off. Im just starting out so it will take time to gain experience. However finding places that most hunters wont go into since there isnt roads will take time. Especially since im going with the OTC tag. Bummer not drawing a tag.

Thanks for the tips!

learnintohunt said:
Hey guys,

I was listening to the Elk Talk podcast and it brought me over to here. Figure I'd see if there is advice for a new guy looking to rifle hunt the Kamas/Southslope unit in October. I'm not looking for a 300" + bull just looking to harvest my first elk for the freezer.

I dont have a 4 wheeler so I put boots to the ground and hike a lot. When I do this I always seem to not find good areas to glass. I do use my On X app and study the land. I probably just dont grasp the topo yet. The lake I hiked to the other weekend ended up having cattle in the area so I guess all that work for nothing and not a single sign of elk.

I guess my question is should I stick to roads like a billion other road hunters or bite the bullet and keep hitting trails a couple miles in on foot until I find some bulls or stay near roads and glass all day until I find some.

Thanks!

I'm also doing my first OTC backwoods hunt in this same area.  Have you been the to Utah DWR website?  It's got quite a bit of information in terms of, "good areas" to go.  They said in the South Slope, Yellowstone area there are approx 7200 elk, with a target goal of 5000.  Cow "management" tags are available for $98 for out of staters like us.

I was able to pick up one of the late announced cow tags for the same area, South Slope/Yellowstone.  The hunt isn't until Dec 1, but I'd like to hear how yours goes and what advice you have.  I am also a first-timer hunting or elk for that matter so any help is greatly appreciated. 

MrChrisLivingston said:
I was able to pick up one of the late announced cow tags for the same area, South Slope/Yellowstone.  The hunt isn't until Dec 1, but I'd like to hear how yours goes and what advice you have.  I am also a first-timer hunting or elk for that matter so any help is greatly appreciated.

The cow management tag is during the season you have your tag.  Be it general season, once in a lifetime, etc.  So I'll be going after elk during the OTC general season 6-18 Oct.

Are you doing OTC in that similar area. If so how are you able to find back country there. All I see on maps is a ton of roads/atv trails. Unless you go on a few hiking trails.

Yeah im going to go look at the DWR webpage again. There web page is very useful.

Good luck on your hunt. The time is getting near!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back