New hunting knife?

mtndone

Jan 2, 2013
So I was at Home Depot yesterday and ran across the Husky folding lockback utility knife- they were on sale for about 4 bucks apiece with blades and I thought this would be a great addition to my hunting gear- dont have to carry a sharpener, blades are easy to swap while hands are wet, and if I lose it A.K.A leave it at a kill site I am only out a couple of bucks-  the only change I might make will be to sand blast the handles to give them more of a grip- thoughts?

Attachments

• husky.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 84
mtndone said:
So I was at Home Depot yesterday and ran across the Husky folding lockback utility knife- they were on sale for about 4 bucks apiece with blades and I thought this would be a great addition to my hunting gear- dont have to carry a sharpener, blades are easy to swap while hands are wet, and if I lose it A.K.A leave it at a kill site I am only out a couple of bucks-  the only change I might make will be to sand blast the handles to give them more of a grip- thoughts?

reminds me of a havalon.  super sharp replaceable blades

I have a friend that uses those utility blades exclusively. He loves it, personally I find the blade shape difficult to work with.

Yes, the Havalon knife is a replaceable blade system.  Light weight, easy to use, and awesome to cape animals with.

Fullabull said:
It looks light and could be a good skinning knife in prep for quartering in the gutless method :)

You can use the Havalon Piranta from start to finish on an elk with 2 to 3 blades. Once you get the hang of it and learn to not twist the blade (they will brake) you will use nothing else.

I've got both sizes of the Havalons and that's all you need to carry to take whole elk apart quickly.  The blades are great and stay sharp enough for more then one elk.  You have to be careful not to snap them off.  They are for cutting not prying.  The blaze handle make them almost impossible to lose and the weight make them a joy to carry in your pack.

I was checking the Havalon site out last night and they have the Havalon Bolt that takes the thicker blades.  Same concept as the Piranta, but a lot more forgiving when we forget to not twist or torque it.  Wished I had gotten than instead of the Piranta.  You know, you can never have enough knives or too many bows..... ::)

RockyMountainHi said:
I was checking the Havalon site out last night and they have the Havalon Bolt that takes the thicker blades.  Same concept as the Piranta, but a lot more forgiving when we forget to not twist or torque it.  Wished I had gotten than instead of the Piranta.  You know, you can never have enough knives or too many bows..... ::)

the torch also takes the 60A blades (the thicker blades), so i guess it's just a preference of handle (the bolt is larger).  I really want that sweet piranta with the elk on it but it only takes the 60XT blades

RockyMountainHi said:

I too was checking out the Bolt. Even though I have 6 Pirantas and I have learned to not twist the blades as I use them I still can't help myself.  Like you said, you can never have enough knives.

I agree the Havalon is light weight and is scary sharp but I must twist or bend my wrist because when I used it last season I brokeenough blades that i put it back in my pack and grabbed a different knife- thought it was just me but my hunting partner was snapping blades as well- thats why I thought this box cutter would work- short thick blades, for those not using the gutless method can you cut the leg joints with a havalon?

mtndone said:
for those not using the gutless method can you cut the leg joints with a havalon?

Absolutely, and that is exactly where you will snap the blades if you twist. Short cuts and working the knife in (without twisting) as you cut will get you home. Any time you twist while working the leg joints you will have to replace blades. Once you figure it out you will do an entire elk with one or two blades. I find myself using two to three blades as I like to work with nothing but scary sharp blades. At .31 cents a blade I figured its I pretty darn good deal for an entire elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back