New Mexico Unit 45

Mark.N

Apr 30, 2024
I am going on my first elk hunt this fall Oct 19-23. Does anyone have advice on what elevation I should be focusing my hunt on? Unit ranges from 5,800 to 13,100ft. I've been doing some e-scouting, and I found what looks to be some great spots at around 11,400ft, but I'm concerned this may be too high for the time of year. Should I look lower? I've looked at some historical imagery of the area, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of snow there in October/November. Could this elevation hold elk this time of year? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! This is all very new to me.

To answer your question, yes, it could hold elk that time of the year. But depending on conditions, the elk could also be higher or lower. It's best to have spots across different elevations so if you aren't finding them at one elevation, you can try another.

Thank you for the advice! I have a few options scouted out at different elevations. Hopefully I find elk with plan A!

I'm in North Idaho so it might not translate very well but that long after the rut with winter approaching I would be looking at whatever elevation has the most available food sources.

I'm in North Idaho so it might not translate very well but that long after the rut with winter approaching I would be looking at whatever elevation has the most available food sources.
I think you are totally right. I assume I won't reliably know what they are feeding on until I get boots on the ground in October. My understanding is the snow/temperature/moisture will dictate the feed. The only caveat I will add is that this unit had a HUGE burn in 2022. Almost half the unit was affected. I talked to one local who said there has been really good regeneration so far. What effect do you think this will have on the feed situation?

It should be good for feed. Unless it burned so hot that is scorched the ground. That will take a long time to come back but if it's been two years since the fire those areas should be full of stuff growing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back