New Mexico Unit 53. First time Elk hunting

neckofredness

Aug 7, 2017
Finally drew an archery elk tag in unit 53 in New Mexico. Just got back from a deployment and haven't made it out to scout. anyone have any info, tips. any help would be appreciated.

You certainly are going to cut your teeth in a very tough unit!

I pulled up some quick data for 2015/16.

2015: 1st archery hunt was 29% harvest rate 2nd season was 37%.
2016: 1st archery hunt was 19% harvest rate and second was 16%.

Last year was a rough year in most units for first and second season, but I remember the year before was a very good year.  So I think you're seeing two almost extremes for the units. Higher harvest rate year and a lower harvest rate year. If I'd guess it averages low to mid 20s.

With that being said there are plenty of elk up there to shoot, you just need to get to them!
53 is not a unit for someone who is not in shape.

I'd recommend getting up high because that's where you'll find the elk. I had a buddy who was up there sheep hunting in 2015 and he saw giant herds of them way up high.

The nice thing is they will be fired up during your hunt. Find the cows and you will find the bulls!  Don't give up and hunt hard, you're going to have so much fun up there and will become hooked. One nice thing that 53 has is a beautiful view.... it's amazing up there.

sjl2012 said:
PM sent... 53 is my favorite unit, it is tough country but man it is beautiful.

Northern NM is breath taking!
I'll be hunting just west of 53 this year.

I'm that "buddy" who sheep hunted and saw the big herds.  PM me OP and I'll point you in the right direction and tell you what I found while up there sheep hunting and while on a backpacking trip last summer.

DTP said:
You certainly are going to cut your teeth in a very tough unit!

I pulled up some quick data for 2015/16.

2015: 1st archery hunt was 29% harvest rate 2nd season was 37%.
2016: 1st archery hunt was 19% harvest rate and second was 16%.

Last year was a rough year in most units for first and second season, but I remember the year before was a very good year.  So I think you're seeing two almost extremes for the units. Higher harvest rate year and a lower harvest rate year. If I'd guess it averages low to mid 20s.

With that being said there are plenty of elk up there to shoot, you just need to get to them!
53 is not a unit for someone who is not in shape.

I'd recommend getting up high because that's where you'll find the elk. I had a buddy who was up there sheep hunting in 2015 and he saw giant herds of them way up high.

The nice thing is they will be fired up during your hunt. Find the cows and you will find the bulls!  Don't give up and hunt hard, you're going to have so much fun up there and will become hooked. One nice thing that 53 has is a beautiful view.... it's amazing up there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back