New Plan

OldMan

Mar 23, 2014
I\'ve been undecided about putting in for a bear tag. It didn\'t seem right for someone who loves the mountain man era to not hunt for bear. What I love about the tag is it\'s good for the whole month of Sept. Bow hunters will be hating on me.

I\'ve been told by many hunters that you can\'t still hunt for bear. I love it when i\'m told I can\'t do something, so I have to try. Of course I can be proved wrong too, but that\'s ok. Trying is the important part for me. If I give it 100%, and fail it\'s much easier to take than giving it a half ass try. I just bought the tag.

So, do we have any other bear hunters out there?

always wanted to haven\'t yet some day I hope. Don\'t see why you couldn\'t still hunt them. Good luck on your quest.

Glad you are going to give it a shot Pete, looking forward to hearing your report.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
Bow hunters will be hating on me.

Pete, a lot of Bowhunters carry bear tags as well. Just tell \'em where your bear gutpile is after you kill one...they will love you! :)

i will be carrying a tag in my pocket, but wont target them unless i kill one an can set over a carcass. otherwise will be right spot right time

I had purchased the CO. bear tag for many, many years. When I finally killed a bear I was satisfied and have not purchased another tag since. It was one of the animals I had on my bucket list and I am happy that it finally happened for me. Most archers that are carrying the bear tag are hunting for elk and switch gears if they happen to see a bear.
The bear I shot was eating in a berry patch along a little seep, I managed to sneak up on it while it had it head down and once it spotted me it stood up at 20 yards. I shot it while it was standing, and it only went about 15 yards before taking a dirt nap. The night before Bullnuts had shot a bear only 50 yards from the same locale. It was a year we had bear encounters almost daily.

That was my plan. To scout for berry bushes over the summer, and still hunt all of them during the month.

The elk hunt is right in the middle of the bear hunt month, so I will be doing them together for that time period. I won\'t stake out the gut pile, but if a bear is hanging around the bagged meat when I come back for it. Well, dead bear. I hope that doesn\'t happen though. I want to get one without knowing it\'s there when I find it.

I\'ll do my best, but to be honest. I\'ll be as shocked as anybody if I get one. I have a full blooded Cheyenne friend that really wants the head and hide. He\'s an interesting guy to talk to. His grandfather was at the Little Big Horn that Custer screwed up.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
\"Still Hunter\" said:
Bow hunters will be hating on me.

Pete, a lot of Bowhunters carry bear tags as well. Just tell \'em where your bear gutpile is after you kill one...they will love you! :)

Yes, but they aren\'t happy dealing with muzzleloaders during the ML season. They\'ll have me with a muzzleloader all month to deal with. :D

Pete-
We saw 3-4 bears while elk hunting last year. I seemed it would be quite easy to \"walk one up\", especially to get within muzzy range. I don\'t know if the tag is zone specific, but we were just west of where you live probably half hour or so.

I had lots of bear pics on my trail cam last summer, and I usually see a bear or 2 each season.
so I picked up a tag, and didnt see a one.
But thats not going to stop me this year, Im going to play the odds - again :)

You guys are luckier than I am. I see lots of bear sign, but hardly ever see one.

My unit isn\'t the best for hunting bears. Only one was taken last year.

Yes, the tag is unit specific, but they\'re generous. I have 6 units I can hunt. Unit 49 is right next to where I live, and i\'ve never hunted it. My Cheyenne friend cuts wood for a living, and has spent a lot of time in 49. He told me where a bunch of choke cherry bushes are, and has seen some bears there. I\'ll be checking it out for sure.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
He told me where a bunch of choke cherry bushes are, and has seen some bears there. I\'ll be checking it out for sure.

I\'ve seen areas with those choke cherry bushes that are just destroyed from bears climbing around in them up in the Flat Tops in September. :wtf:

bear tags for nr\'s is around $350..... saw 4 our fist year in colorado. nothing last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back