New Rifle from RMEF Raffle

Baby Huey

Apr 17, 2014
I was lucky enough to get a new rifle with one raffle ticket from this past Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Denver Banquet. Browning AB3 in 300 Win Mag. Now to save up for some rings and scope!

And a muzzle brake!

Nice rifle Roman and jealous you\'re one of those \"lucky\" dudes who draws on 1 entry. I\'m the guy who buys the other 99 entries and get skunked!!

\"cnelk\" said:
Thats pretty sweet Roman!

I cant win a ticket to a free lunch :)

I can\'t remember anything I\'ve won like that.. I went to a DU banquet once where everyone, except me, won something... :D :lol:

I picked up rings and a scope. Was looking at a few scopes: Vortex, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold and Nightforce. I was leaning toward the Swarovski Z3, as its reticle and lightweight were plusses for me. I was waiting for Memorial Day weekend to see what kind of deals I could get. As that day was approaching, I came across the SouthWest Fire Arms (SWFA) Super Sniper (SS) Scopes. My research showed they were a Navy contract scope and are being sold by SWFA. I checked out a few youtube video reviews and other forum reviews and this scope seemed like a great deal for the money - great bang for the buck.

When the Memorial Day sales came around, I found that the SWFA scopes were $200 off for select models. I ended up getting the 30mm tube, MOA Quad Reticle, single focal plane, 3-15x42 SS from SWFA for $399 (normally $599). Also included for that price: 1 sunshade attachment and 2 Butler Creek flip up caps. Everything so far seems really nice - I really like the reticle and throw knob for the magnification. I wanted a scope where I could dial without unscrewing caps, so this SS fits the bill. It is heavier than the Z3, but for $400, it seems like a great buy up front - now to test it out!

I just bought some Warne mounts and rings today and temporarily mounted it to make sure the ring height cleared the barrel and no bolt interference. Now to get the scope leveled, blue Loctite and send some rounds downrange! Would like to see the groups and then look at doing the bedding and trigger like Derek did. I also called Browning and they are working with Silencerco for a muzzle brake for the threaded barrel, so I will look into that as well.

\"Baby Huey\" said:
I picked up rings and a scope. Was looking at a few scopes: Vortex, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold and Nightforce. I was leaning toward the Swarovski Z3, as its reticle and lightweight were plusses for me. I was waiting for Memorial Day weekend to see what kind of deals I could get. As that day was approaching, I came across the SouthWest Fire Arms (SWFA) Super Sniper (SS) Scopes. My research showed they were a Navy contract scope and are being sold by SWFA. I checked out a few youtube video reviews and other forum reviews and this scope seemed like a great deal for the money - great bang for the buck.

When the Memorial Day sales came around, I found that the SWFA scopes were $200 off for select models. I ended up getting the 30mm tube, MOA Quad Reticle, single focal plane, 3-15x42 SS from SWFA for $399 (normally $599). Also included for that price: 1 sunshade attachment and 2 Butler Creek flip up caps. Everything so far seems really nice - I really like the reticle and throw knob for the magnification. I wanted a scope where I could dial without unscrewing caps, so this SS fits the bill. It is heavier than the Z3, but for $400, it seems like a great buy up front - now to test it out!

I just bought some Warne mounts and rings today and temporarily mounted it to make sure the ring height cleared the barrel and no bolt interference. Now to get the scope leveled, blue Loctite and send some rounds downrange! Would like to see the groups and then look at doing the bedding and trigger like Derek did. I also called Browning and they are working with Silencerco for a muzzle brake for the threaded barrel, so I will look into that as well.

SWFA was a great choice!
The rifle looks like a killer set up, congrats again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back