New Sequence

JohnFitzgerald

Mar 31, 2014
This year I decided to try a new sequence. In the off season I explored the idea that, given the right situation, satellite bulls will come greater distances if they have the opportunity to gain cows. We called it the Lesser Bull/Hot Cow Sequence

One morning we locate bugled a bull about 300 yards away. We could tell he was alone and my partner decide to slip into the canyon as I kept him bugling. Thinking this would be a perfect opportunity, I deployed this untested tactic which consisted of weaker bugles with hot and cold cow sounds mixed in. As time ticket on, his next bugle sounded a little closer. But as many of you know sounds can be misleading in the woods. So I figured he was still in the same spot.

The next 5-10 minutes he became very quiet which lead me to fear that my shooter would not be able to pin-point the bulls location and move in for a shot. Well, unbeknownst to me the bull slipped right by my partner and came right in to my sounds. At about 70 yards away he bugled the gnarliest scream and followed it by hard pounding chuckles. WAKE UP STUPID...as I told myself and sprang from relaxed calling mode to shooter mode.

Now is the time when I tell you I was in the wide open(stupid decision) and knew I would not have the opportunity to draw as he came in further. So I went full draw and guessed he would come from my left. DAMN.....as I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Shifting my head a little I could now see a nice 280+ class bull standing 40 yards at 90 degrees down hill. He did not wait for the rest of my body to catch up to the shift. :)

Learned:
1) Satellite bulls would rather you come to them, but given the correct calling sequence and right situation, they will travel to you.
2) Nothing new to me, but no matter what always be behind cover when calling. :x

What part of the season was this? Do you see this effective when they are first starting to fire up?

I\'m going to send you a gillysuit :lol:

It was towards the end of the season. Bulls were out of pre-rut and into rut.

The thing that kills me is that I KNEW BETTER!! ARG!!!!!!!!!!! Bulls like that don\'t give you a second chance! :x

The extra crappy thing was later that day I had nice mule deer buck 20 yards away. I did not initially knock my arrow properly so when I drew back the arrow fell out. DOUBLE ARG!!!!!!

I\'d be crying right now if it wasn\'t so damn funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back