New to Elk hunting!!

Decidng where to go!!

• Which state should we go too?

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Which state has the least hunting pressure?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Swatman05

Nov 18, 2015
Hello all!! I recently joined this forum and I enjoy reading everything on here!! I am planning an archery elk hunt next year with my brother in law. This will be both of our first elk hunts. I need help on deciding where to go! I've heard Colorado is a great area, but I've also heard that Wyoming is really good too. I am a meat eater, so I'm not concerned if it's a trophy or not. We want to go somewhere that doesn't have a lot of pressure and has good elk potential. Feel free to PM me!! I look forward to hearing from you guys! 

I think that anywhere in the west is good as long as you do a little research. I have hunted Montana and Idaho (because that is where I have lived) and they are both good. I know that New Mexico and Nevada get some big bulls. I have a buddy that hunts Wyoming and Colorado. This isn't a good post on helping you narrow it down, but I'm just saying to pick a state and then call some fish and game biologists and get an idea. That is what I do whenever I move to a new area.

I've dreamed of going to Montana!! I'd love to hunt and live there one day!! I think we'll be going to Southwest Colorado. I'm ready to put some miles on and hopefully get some meat!

Do you know of an area that's not swarming with hunters? I want to see elk and not people. Haha. 😁

I'm no expert, but it's been my experience that if you're on public land you'll encounter other hunters. You can alleviate some of that pressure by getting away from the crowds, and the only way to do that is by getting some mileage on your boots. I started by tent hunting next to my truck during rifle season. I've now graduated to a hammock set up during archery season. You'll learn from season to season as you go, but that's part of the fun. Good luck.

Planning on a hunt on private land in unit 78 in two yrs.
I'm a non resident what's my chances of getting that unit with applying for the first time.

Southeast Washington would be another good place to hunt Elk. There was years of lean Elk before, but now the Bull Elk ratio is rising. I think it all really comes down to where you live and how far you're willing to travel for hunting. I also forgot to mention that western Oregon in the Siuslaw National Forest also provides good chances to find Elk. Might be a bit of a workout, although some friends have found it rewarding in that area. I hope this helps you out! Good Luck!
[/size]<a href="http://calsportsmanmag.com">elk hunt</a>

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back