New to elk hunting

Wcooke

Sep 30, 2021
Hello everyone,  I?m new to elk hunting and had a few questions.  I am planning a trip for next year with my 15 year old son to do an archery hunt in a unit with OTC tags. Being an out of state hunter how do you choose a zone to start hunting in.  I have been looking at zone 77 but have had some people tell me it?s very crowded.  I don?t mind hiking into the back country to get away from people,  I just don?t know how to pinpoint a zone to start with.  Thanks so much for any advice y?all might have.

Welcome to the forum!!!  :welcome:

Which state is this for? If it's for Colorado, you can do some research on the different areas by going to the statistics page of the CPW website and pull some good information: Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Elk Hunting Statistics (state.co.us). You'll find population estimates, bull to cow ratios, and estimated harvest information all right there.

Regarding OTC units, they are all going to technically be 'crowded'. The key is finding ways to avoid the crowds. I have hunted a bunch of OTC units, including some of the most populated ones in the state, and have never had an issue escaping other hunters. Think about where the most popular spots are going to be (near roads, near trailheads, in easier terrain, etc) and try to go elsewhere.

Hope that helps, but keep asking away with any questions you have. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks around here.

I?ll add that finding spots without pressure/reduced pressure might not be miles deep. Sometimes there are little ?islands? the elk find and you just have to find them too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Army of Dad said:
I?ll add that finding spots without pressure/reduced pressure might not be miles deep. Sometimes there are little ?islands? the elk find and you just have to find them too

Definitely agree with this!

Yes I was planning a trip for Colorado.  I have planned to go to unit 77, from what it looks like it has a lot of land to get away from the crowds.  I guess just being new to this I second guess everything and I just want to make sure I am setting myself up for success.  I?ve been looking on onX to do some scouting and also checking on the goHUNT insider and the Colorado website.  This is just a lot different than hunting here on the east coast so I?ve been trying to do as much reading and watching videos on everything I can.  I know people aren?t going to tell me there secret spots, just looking for some guidance and direction and I thank y?all every bit of input that y?all have given.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back