New to Traditional archery, need some help

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well. I am not new to archery but I am new to the recurve. I had just inherited a 50 pound recurve, I know it is a lot to start off with but it is the bow I got. The arrows I am using are Warriors 500 spine with a 125 grain tip. The way I am choosing to learn to aim is with 3 fingers under and the knock as close to my pupil as possible. At 10 yards I can put em in there pretty good by placing the arrow about 10" below the center of the target. As I go back past 12 yards the arrows start pushing left. My sight picture on my right eye is mostly string so I try to have both eyes open so that I can see the arrow with my other eye. I am noticing I have have a hard time focusing, the arrow and target is fuzzy. As I go back do I need to hold off to the right as well? My impression I got from what I read about this method of aiming is that I hold the arrow in straight line with the target. I am having a blast with this thing but I am trying to learn right and not develop any bad or counter productive habits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I cant help you with what you're describing. Its sounds like you are 'gapping' for your point of aim.

I shoot split fingers, anchor point is the corner of my mouth, focus on the target and the arrow hits that spot. Instinctively aiming.

I tried 'gapping' but just couldnt get the hang of it

cnelk said:
I cant help you with what you're describing. Its sounds like you are 'gapping' for your point of aim.

I shoot split fingers, anchor point is the corner of my mouth, focus on the target and the arrow hits that spot. Instinctively aiming.

I tried 'gapping' but just couldnt get the hang of it

I am thinking of trying split fingers and coaching my anchor point in order to hopefully clarify what I?m seeing verses a whole lot of arrow and fletching.

I switch from compound to recurve for hunting and fun shooting. I would suggest you find some traditional archers in your area and try to get with them. Split finger and three under can be decided on how your bow is tillered. Being a fiberglass recurve it is likely tillered for split finger. I also shoot split fingers and draw to my mouth putting my pointer finger in the corner of my lip. That should put the arrow directly under your eye. Also puts your forearm in a good position for a straight release of fingers from the arrow. Lots to learn and a great journey in traditional archery. Mostly, have fun with it!

I shot instinctively for years with a recurve and compound. I found that I shot best using just two fingers under. Using the shorter axial length compound if I shot split fingers my top finger pinched and caused left impact for me. Not sure but maybe the three under you are using might be causing the same for you.

A few years ago I cut 7 tendons in my hand.
Repaired but not quite the same.
I now can?t draw/hold my recurve like I used to.

So I tied on a D loop and use my release.
I found out immediately that it corrected any form/release flaws I had.
I found out that I had Ring Finger Drag when I released.

Sure it?s not true traditional, but I can now shoot my recurve with consistency again

You could tie a D loop on and try it to see if your form is causing issues

Attachments

• 9ACCE09B-0C38-4183-B676-3376EC142EEE.jpeg
    9ACCE09B-0C38-4183-B676-3376EC142EEE.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • A8676D19-B0DA-4CFA-836A-724746563F66.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
Go to YouTube and check out some of Joel Turner"s videos. He uses a thumb release and has lots of good tips. I think he even has instructional courses.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back