Newb to Idaho

sn.outdoors

Jun 6, 2016
I moved to ID last November from NM. I'm curious how different the hunting will be in an OTC area in ID compared to what I experienced in NM? I've spent a considerable amount of time scouting in ID for all sorts of animals, and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of game here. I'm sure there's more than a few people on this forum who've hunted in NM and also OTC in ID who know first hand how different the 2 places are.

I feel like my experiences in NM might have set an unrealistic expectation that hunting elk isn't that tough. So far I've filled every elk tag I've had and they were all on public land, but they were not in OTC/general units. I know the terrain, climate, and hunting pressure is very different, but how did your tactics, expectations, and chances at success change?

Also, to clarify, I'm hunting the archery season 16-24 September.

Turns out ID is not much different than NM. The most obvious difference is the amount of hunting pressure. So it takes a little more grit and determination to get away from the crowds in ID than what it does in NM.

Elk still need water, feed, and seclusion. And if you find where they live, you'll have a much better chance of killing one. While scouting this summer I found a secluded spot with water, thick bedding areas, and LOTS of fresh sign.

Last weekend I went back to the area I scouted during the summer with the goal of doing some more scouting for the hunt later this month.

There was almost no wind and the woods were dead silent so I sat in a spot I figured elk would have to walk through. As luck would have it, after I sat for 8hrs, this nice 6x6 came out and I made a great shot on him.

309678b0fdc1c131f3f345406f5b1fc8.jpg

22d753e2bcd2102d7e0d6ec183eee7a9.jpg

082728a712ea7980659a37b1d8c389e9.jpg

In all honesty, I did not expect to kill an elk last weekend, especially such a nice bull, but a few valuable lessons sunk in. Elk behavior is relatively universal, and if you can find them, you can use basically the same techniques to hunt them.

Heck yeah! Nice job. I too have hunted NM the last two years. Going to a new area in ID on friday. Hoping to not be overran with hunters and can get into some elk. We dont have an issue hiking a long way to get away from people. Always nervous about a new area i know little about.

Congrats. That is a great bull.
They say the same 20% of hunters kill 80% of the elk every year.

Thanks guys!

I'm a little sad it happened so fast. I was really looking forward to chasing them next week. The saying, "the best way to ruin a good elk hunt is killing an elk" definitely holds true.

I'm heading down to AZ tonight to help a buddy fill his first elk tag. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to hunt AZ elk during the peak rut. I can't wait to learn a little more about elk and expand my experience. This elk hunting stuff is like crack... once you're on it, its tough to get off of it.

Congrats! Gives me some confidence. I'm headed to ID for the OTC bull rifle season. I hear there's quite the orange army that comes out during this week, so I hope I can get away from the crowds as well.

label027 said:
Congrats! Gives me some confidence. I'm headed to ID for the OTC bull rifle season. I hear there's quite the orange army that comes out during this week, so I hope I can get away from the crowds as well.

Good luck on your hunt! I wouldn't know much about the orange army, but if the archery season was any indication... there will be plenty of hunters moving the elk around. (if you're close to the trailheads)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back