Newbie Elk Hunter

Wapiti Warrior

Jul 20, 2017
Hey everyone! So I am brand new to elk hunting, or big game at all for that matter. My buddy talked me into going archery deer with him this year in southern idaho (never shot a bow before til March) and I put in for an archery elk in the same unit. Turns out I drew the tag (2% odds) and am now planning my elk hunt. I have been out scouting many days and seen a total of 10 bulls. I saw 5 monsters two days ago, at least 6x6 for each of them. I haven't seen a cow at all. I also haven't really seen elk rubs anywhere. Im starting to wonder if it was a fluke i saw these bulls at all. From other people I have talked to, this unit is hard to draw and amazing (its unit 54 if you were wondering).  Any suggestions on finding the cows or looking for rubs.

FYI: The 5 monster bulls I saw were within a few miles of this remote water source/pond. Didn't know that at the time, but saw it on my map once I got home. I was thinking about getting a vantage point and glassing the pond for a day to see who visits.

Appreciate any input or help for this newbie! Thanks

Wapiti Warrior said:
Hey everyone! So I am brand new to elk hunting, or big game at all for that matter. My buddy talked me into going archery deer with him this year in southern idaho (never shot a bow before til March) and I put in for an archery elk in the same unit. Turns out I drew the tag (2% odds) and am now planning my elk hunt. I have been out scouting many days and seen a total of 10 bulls. I saw 5 monsters two days ago, at least 6x6 for each of them. I haven't seen a cow at all. I also haven't really seen elk rubs anywhere. Im starting to wonder if it was a fluke i saw these bulls at all. From other people I have talked to, this unit is hard to draw and amazing (its unit 54 if you were wondering).  Any suggestions on finding the cows or looking for rubs.

FYI: The 5 monster bulls I saw were within a few miles of this remote water source/pond. Didn't know that at the time, but saw it on my map once I got home. I was thinking about getting a vantage point and glassing the pond for a day to see who visits.

Appreciate any input or help for this newbie! Thanks

First off, congrats on drawing the tag!
You mentioned you'll be deer hunting the unit too with your buddy, do the seasons overlap?

I see you've been out scouting for many days and have seen many bulls.
How many days have you been out and what kind of scouting are you doing?
Are you just hiking through the whole area or are you taking some time behind some optics up on a ridge?
Depending on the area you're hunting, that was going to be something I highly recommend if you have the time for it.  Try to find a nice area to sit and just glass.
This will help give you a solid layout of the area and will also help you find elk/deer.
I'm an e-scouter, walker, glasser....
I pick out the areas of interest, then I walk them (early to mid summer), and then I glass the area from a far as the season gets closer to reduce my footprint.

I've not personally hunted unit 54 or Idaho for that fact, but according to the data found on the fish and game website the unit seems to have some good harvest statistics.
Harvest rates:
2016 - 60% with 100% harvested being 6 point +
2015 - 67% with 67% harvested being 6 point +

Those numbers right there get me excited for you!

edit: my phone didn't show me the part about you finding the water source and wanting to glass it. I'd absolutely recommend it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back