Newbie needing help (with everything) on Montana Unit 270-02

Clem

Aug 6, 2018
Ladies and Gents,
I have a general tag bull tag for Montana and my friend has a Cow only tag for 270-02. We are planning on going for the 2/3 week in Sept, trying to hit that window of Nirvana Pre-Rut/Peak Rut where bulls are not hearded up and are aggressively responding to calls.

Has anyone on here been out on 270-02-East Fork/West Highway 93 and can give advice and or experience of that Unit. I'm not after a magic location but type of terrain I can expect to find elk in for that time of the year so I can do as much google earth scanning between now and the 10th of Sept. From my review of the unit there is some high ground up towards goat peak and it stretches all the way down to some river bottom with a small amount of Ag to the west as the East Fork of the Bitterroot travels down stream. With this type of terrain in the early season where the best place to start looking?

My background, I'm an Australian whom has been living in the eastern US for 6 years and this is my first year trying to Elk hunt. I'm a proficient white tail bow hunter and turkey hunter I have killed at least 3 deer a year in the past 4 seasons. I've just singed up for Elk 101, I have seen Cory and Team's work on various videos and wanted to learn more. Figuring $100 is nothing compared to the money I will blow through or have gone through for gas/tag/gear and it should help someone with less than no idea of what he is doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back