Next on the bucket list

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
Looking for some input/suggestions

Ok so now I\'ve finally scratched an Elk off my list, an Antelope, moose and Mullie are my last big three. For some reason Mullie is not as burning in my blood. Maybe a deer is a deer, idk but Moose and speed goat are the two I\'d like to seek out next. Moose is going to be the most challenging , expensive and require time off, additionally since I returned to my old job I\'ve lost my vacation time off, so moose will be 2+ years in the making. Adding insult to injury, I can\'t get on shift to get that time off that way (had one week off a month fixed in schedule) so I\'m very limited this year and next year pending another job I\'ve interviewed for. All this said that leaves me with antelope to really take a poke at this year plus a couple swing for the fence premium elk tags

Ive not done much of any research on antelope, anything other than getting bonus points in CO (2), UT (3) and AZ(3), I puzzle myself why I\'ve not been getting them in WY the last few years (nor elk till last year in WY). I Remember blowing a mental gasket researching WY regs for elk as most places I thought were the most promising elk spots NR were required to have a guide.

here is my situation/can-can\'t do\'s and questions

Most likely I\'ll only be able to get 7 days off max , as I can swap out with a shift guy.
I\'m only interested in hunting with a bow.
Don\'t know anyone so this will be solo
Can\'t afford most outfitters
Mature animal hunter , not trophy hunting nor just meat hunter, at least until the last 2 days, lol
Most likely won\'t be able to physically scout myself as I live in Louisiana.
Would like to stalk hunt, but hunting all day @ 100 deg over water not out of the picture, whatever it takes to be successful is the way I roll.
AZ is out of mix for this year as already bought the bonus points.
UT unit ive been appling is a long long shot
I\'m wondering if CO would be worth the gamble tossing into for this year?
NM is closest geographically and probably my best chance to draw.
Do I have any other options out there?

Any links, comments are suggestions would be greatly appreciated for my situation.

Bob, If you\'re wanting to shoot a nice goat, go to WY. I\'d get 2-4 pts and pick a unit. WY has more lopes than people. YOu won\'t have any trouble finding them and 7 days is enough. This part of your goals will be the easiest in my opinion. WY lope pts are $30 a piece and as simple as any PP purchase in the west. Good luck!

Wow, as I typed up this response, I took a look at the Colorado big game regs and realized that there are a TON of units that are OTC in Colorado for bow hunting antelope. I guess they aren\'t too worried about many people filling tags! Getting close enough to take an antelope with a bow would be one heck of a challenge.

With all that being said, PM sent! :upthumb:

that Mulie is the cheapest hunt i think.

with a bow a mulie is OTC. you need to buy the license to put in for the point, so the cash is already spent. seems like a no brainer to me...no? it might not be the whopper of your dreams, but jus saying..i have a broken arrow in my quiver right now that is the result of a missed shot on a mulie. happened, Jan 23, 2016. still cant talk about it..hahhaha..too soon.

hey.. BOB, what do you have happening in Louisiana?

maybe put it out there and someone could work out a swap. for example, i couldnt scout louisiana..at all.

depending on your age and condition, lopes could be the easiest hunt of the three, might wanna go for a mulie while your gettin ready for moose then hunt over a waterhole someday for a lope. but, if you wanna go lope, co has a ton of otc lope tags, nebraska has otc lope huntin and is alot cheaper although not as many lopes (thats where i killed mine). if you do decide to lope hunt let us know. im sure we can give you a few pointers.

I\'m 45 and not in good shape, although I\'m in high gear now to drop the weight once I realized I have a small window of opportunity to get back out west this year. After My NM elk trip last September I came home in better shape than a long long time. Shortly after returning from NM I had to go back to my old job, I was depressed for several months once I realized i wouldn\'t get my 2 week personal holiday time for two years, ergo I figured no hunting out west this year :(

I got a shift guy who says he will swap so I can hunt this year but it will only give me the 7 days off, so it\'s really only 4 days hunting because of travel time, but if that\'s what I\'ve got to work with its better than nothing.

I double checked WY website and I did not get the lope points last year when I bought the elk point, dumb me. At any rate it looks like my best bet is toss in on a few extreme odds LE elk tags and consider this year a point year and plan on an OTC lope learning excursion.

Iiving in the north east part of LA, there\'s not a lot going on around here that anyone would be interested In doing. Tensas refuge is 1 hour away but it is extremely tough hunting. Hunted it 7 days straight a couple years ago, never saw a single deer and most days were all day sits. We deer hunt on private land and have lost so much of it in the last few years it\'s more of a place to go socialize. The last five years have been terrible as far as Deer at our camp, there\'s been not a deer since 2011 that might have been a 140\".

We have a cabin in SW Arkansas near the public diamond mine and my spearfishing lake if someone\'s interested in either of those, can definitely fix someone up there!

Nebraska? Just what I need, another state to try to figure out the rules for, lol
Still for a chance to go on an antelope hunt it might definitely be an option. That might be a little closer drivke as well, will take a peak at that this weekend. Cheaper is better, but I\'d rather get busted trying a stalk 20 times vs only seeing a few critters. Will do some homework on NE

Bob. AZ mulie for sure. Most of the state is fair game if you\'re carrying a bow. And again, you already pay the $160 for the license anyways to be able to buy the point. Use it. IMHO.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
Bob. AZ mulie for sure.......And again, you already pay the $160 for the license anyways to be able to buy the point.

A lot of truth here, kinda like WY now you mention that, its only 15$ extra, not sure why I\'ve not been doing that already :crazy:

Bob,

As a NM resident I would be more than glad to help you with any of the draw spots and give you as much information as I can regarding areas.

\"otcWill\" said:
Bob, If you\'re wanting to shoot a nice goat, go to WY. I\'d get 2-4 pts and pick a unit. WY has more lopes than people. YOu won\'t have any trouble finding them and 7 days is enough. This part of your goals will be the easiest in my opinion. WY lope pts are $30 a piece and as simple as any PP purchase in the west. Good luck!

This is what I am doing and I CANNOT WAIT. :upthumb:

Thanks Iccy, with the way my off time is this year and the way the draws work, my best bet seems to be to swing for NM Elk and goat, apply for UT on the ultra long shots, and plan to OTC CO prong and continue to bank points there and WY.

\"Bob Frapples\" said:
Thanks Iccy, with the way my off time is this year and the way the draws work, my best bet seems to be to swing for NM Elk and goat, apply for UT on the ultra long shots, and plan to OTC CO prong and continue to bank points there and WY.

I think you have a great plan. :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back