NM/CO archery buddies

woodardd

Apr 11, 2018
Anyone out there looking for an extra hunting partner for their group?  Probably not, but thought I?d ask.  I?m 45 min south of the NM border in TX.  Can?t seem to get my good ol Texas buddies to get out of their whitetail stands to chase elk.  I chase hard, and am rigged out with all necessary gear.  I?ll pay landowner tags, or OTC.  I Just get tired of solo hunts.  I think my pals are scared of the challenge. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Im honestly surprised you havent met more people from TX that want to hunt elk. I know a lot of Texas/Oklahoma guys who are always fired up to go out!

DTP said:
Im honestly surprised you havent met more people from TX that want to hunt elk. I know a lot of Texas/Oklahoma guys who are always fired up to go out!
Ya, it might be where I?m at.  Smack dab in the oil patch, with all kinds of walks of life.  Hard to really reach out and feel comfortable doing so.  I have some coworkers who go, but none of them archery hunt.  I?ve only been out here 2yrs, so I?m sure something will work out.  Just thought I?d see if any groups had an extra spot for a strong back and will to get it done.  I?ll keep on my whitetail lease buddies to try to get them to convert!! 

woodardd said:
DTP said:
Ya, it might be where I?m at.  Smack dab in the oil patch, with all kinds of walks of life.  Hard to really reach out and feel comfortable doing so.  I have some coworkers who go, but none of them archery hunt.  I?ve only been out here 2yrs, so I?m sure something will work out.  Just thought I?d see if any groups had an extra spot for a strong back and will to get it done.  I?ll keep on my whitetail lease buddies to try to get them to convert!! 

You will definitely find some fired up guys around here  :upthumb:

DTP said:
woodardd said:
DTP said:

You will definitely find some fired up guys around here  :upthumb:
Thanks Dan.

I?ve got a full schedule of hunts this year but if you ever need any help just reach out.
  What style of hunting do you like to do? We usually leave a main camp and hunt out of it into areas off the road with an occasional spike camp if the terrain and hunt calls for it. Not a fan of driving roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpdole said:
I?ve got a full schedule of hunts this year but if you ever need any help just reach out.
  What style of hunting do you like to do? We usually leave a main camp and hunt out of it into areas off the road with an occasional spike camp if the terrain and hunt calls for it. Not a fan of driving roads.

Thanks guys.

I archery hunt. Pack a 7200 kuiu and spike camp for the most part.  Hit a 7-10 day loop and sleep where they bed, if I can find them.  Most of my buddies are whitetail hunters and haven?t felt the addiction of chasing yet, so can?t blame them for not wanting to join.  I?m open to landowner tag purchases.  I have to be in NM since I didn?t draw this year.  I do have a nice sxs, and plenty of base camp gear I can bring to the table.  I am also 4hrs hrs away from unit 34, so a solo weekend scout trip multiple times before season starts is no big deal for me.  Let me know if anyone wants a tag along and strong back to help out with the group.  I?m 34 and stay in decent shape.  Understandable if no interest, as most groups are pretty tight knit. Best of luck to everyone this season.

I might be in similar boat.  I'm in Maine and am driving out to Colorado for my first elk hunt.  I grew up and still play in the mountains here.  I know the altitude will be a challenge,  but the vertical feet won't be as bad for me, as it would for some.  I have a friend who is on the fence  he had lived in Montana and moved back here.  He hunted elk in Montana for a number of years.  Been on the fence about trying to look for someone to hunt with, but Mahe the right person wet could help each other.  Been doing a ton of E scouting and going through Corey's course.  I have all the gear to backpack hunt for days on end.  Looking to do early archery, get out there just after labor day maybe.  Been hunting whitetails and moose in the western mountains of maine my whole life, 35 years old and love an adventure.  I cant wait to chase elk, I literally cant stop doing research on Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mckayam1 said:
I might be in similar boat.  I'm in Maine and am driving out to Colorado for my first elk hunt.  I grew up and still play in the mountains here.  I know the altitude will be a challenge,  but the vertical feet won't be as bad for me, as it would for some.  I have a friend who is on the fence  he had lived in Montana and moved back here.  He hunted elk in Montana for a number of years.  Been on the fence about trying to look for someone to hunt with, but Mahe the right person wet could help each other.  Been doing a ton of E scouting and going through Corey's course.  I have all the gear to backpack hunt for days on end.  Looking to do early archery, get out there just after labor day maybe.  Been hunting whitetails and moose in the western mountains of maine my whole life, 35 years old and love an adventure.  I cant wait to chase elk, I literally cant stop doing research on Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I?m with you guys. I?m in Indiana. I have some guys who are interested and one who has been a couple times we just have very different styles and opinions on things. Plus it?s hard to find anyone who is serious enough to put in the kind of effort I am but at the same time isn?t so serious they?ll ruin the hunt. A lot of guys think I?m stupid for doing otc archery on public. What I hear a lot is, if I go and spend that much on a tag I better bring something home. That?s not my style. I?ll hunt my nuts off to kill one,  it if it turns into an expensive camping trip I?m perfectly fine with that too. I?m a bowhunter, doesn?t matter for what so I?m prepared to eat some tags. I?m also the type that wants to earn it. Nothing against people getting guides. I did it in bc for bears years ago. But it wasn?t the same and I didn?t care for it. So a guide is not really a consideration to me. Shoot me a pm if you want and maybe we can compare notes on CO, who knows maybe we?ll be close out there.

jstephens61 said:
Travis25, what part of Indiana are you in?

West central. South of Terre Haute about 25-30 min. Practically on the state line

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back