North facing slopes - Really?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
People are always talking about hunting north facing slopes. Does it really make a difference? Or do you think it is region specific? I'm hunting the dense coast ranges for rosies and haven't really found that slope face makes much difference in where the sign or bedding areas are. But I'm starting to feel like I am missing out and should be more diligent in hanging out on the north side.

For the coast it really probably doesn't matter much because it's all dark and cool. for the rest of the state and country it makes a big difference. The north facing sloped are always cooler which the elk like during the day. You can find a lot of bedding areas a quarter to a third the way down a north facing ridge line ;)

Your right, when i hunted the coast it didnt make a difference what side of the slope due to thick, cool vegiation but here in Idaho its the north slope that i find my elk on during the day.

As mentioned north facing slopes are cooler so if you can find an area where you have thick cover on a north slope but also a water hole and feed area you have it made especially early season hunting in mid to late August in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado or Idaho.

North facing slopes are where I found groups of cows bedded down this past year

On the west side of the Cascades it doesn't seem as important as on the east side of the cascades. I think it has more to do with the vegetation.

most of the time, but I have found them bedding on south facing slopes occasionally just to keep us honest I guess.  That was in high desert that would probably be less likely than where you are.

Backpack Hunter said:
It's a cliche, but elk are where you find them.
Some years they have been on north facing slopes, others not.

This has generally been my experience as well. Mind you I hunt more in foothill country than in actual mountain drainages. I still remember the elk I shot on the hottest day I've ever killed anything, it was +33C (not sure what it equates to in F, but its very hot, too hot to be hunting, to be honest) and him and his herd of 50ish cows were all hanging out on a south facing slope facing the sun.

If they are going to bed for the day, you will usually find them bedding in a cool area and most cool areas are on north facing slopes. But if the south or any other direction facing slope is nice and cool then that is all the matters and you can find elk there (especially) if there is water near by :)

Never put it together until reading this but during the day most bulls we spotted were on the north face of the mountain.

all three elk we killed this year were on a north facing slope. We did however chase a big ol' herd bull on a south slope too!!

Its more about the weather but were I hunt the south face is mostly open area and north thick trees,Hot weather go to the thick trees and water.

Yeah it sucked. Luckily it dropped a good 10 degrees or so once the sun went down. Its the only downside to living in SE Alberta - its essentially a semi arid desert, so Septembers are hot hot hot. I guess its not as bad as some of the guys in NM or AZ have it, but its certainly not optimal. Get a nice cold below 0 morning with a heavy frost after a week of heat like that and you nearly need ear plugs from all the bugling that erupts!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back