OK! I want to hear your worst gear experiences!!!

KUIUGirl39

Jan 29, 2013
You always hear about good gear reviews all the time but we all know that each and every one of us has had at some point a bad gear experience! I want to hear your stories!! What is your negative gear review??
Mine was when I was first starting up archery I decided to purchase the newest and supposably greatest Under Armour ridge reaper womens hunting pants. I had seen all these hunting videos and other hunters wearing and rocking Under Armour so spending 179$ on these pants was a good investment. The first time I took them out I was proved very WRONG! These pants ripped within an hour of backpacking to the spot we were going to campout at. I was so upset! not to mention the cause of my pants ripping was a SMALL TWIG not a branch that's right a twig... Not only was the rip upsetting, they were also very noisey! After my experience with UnderArmour I refuse to even by a hoodie with them. Below I have a picture where you can see the tear the twig caused near my knee followed by some very cheap stuffing falling out of them! Hands down worst hunting pants ever!!! So whats your story??
247740_4073626953790_413114374_n.jpg

Had both arm straps rip off a Sitka 45 pack on a packout.

An Energizer hat light (clipped to the brim) went out on me about 2.5 miles back on a moonless night, pulled out the backup Energizer headlamp which promptly went to flickering. Had to hold it in my hand and continually smack it to keep it flickering.

A Katadyn Hiker water filter pump blew apart on me a couple years back, never had a problem with the replacement.

KUIUGirl39 said:
You always hear about good gear reviews all the time but we all know that each and every one of us has had at some point a bad gear experience! I want to hear your stories!! What is your negative gear review??
Mine was when I was first starting up archery I decided to purchase the newest and supposably greatest Under Armour ridge reaper womens hunting pants. I had seen all these hunting videos and other hunters wearing and rocking Under Armour so spending 179$ on these pants was a good investment. The first time I took them out I was proved very WRONG! These pants ripped within an hour of backpacking to the spot we were going to campout at. I was so upset! not to mention the cause of my pants ripping was a SMALL TWIG not a branch that's right a twig... Not only was the rip upsetting, they were also very noisey! After my experience with Under Armour I refuse to even by a hoodie with them. Below I have a picture where you can see the tear the twig caused near my knee followed by some very cheap stuffing falling out of them! Hands down worst hunting pants ever!!! So whats your story??

Hey KUIUGirl,

I seem to be unable to find your knee in the attached photo, but then again, I sometimes can't see the critters allegedly right in front of me ??? .

My gear failure include an Arizona EZ Fletch jig.  It worked for about a year, but then would not reliably seat the vane to the arrow resulting in frequent lost fletchings.  I went with the Bitzenberger and have zero occurrences since.  Ihave also had terrible luck with clip on headlamps and maybe my ultimate gear failure was my homemade Ghillie Suit.  Looked fantastic, but a 16 pound jacket is ridiculous :eek: .  I can't pack that even for Turkeys!

RockyMountainHi said:
KUIUGirl39 said:
Mine was when I was first starting up archery I decided to purchase the newest and supposably greatest Under Armour ridge reaper womens hunting pants. I had seen all these hunting videos and other hunters wearing and rocking Under Armour so spending 179$ on these pants was a good investment. The first time I took them out I was proved very WRONG! These pants ripped within an hour of backpacking to the spot we were going to campout at. I was so upset! not to mention the cause of my pants ripping was a SMALL TWIG not a branch that's right a twig... Not only was the rip upsetting, they were also very noisey! After my experience with Under Armour I refuse to even by a hoodie with them. Below I have a picture where you can see the tear the twig caused near my knee followed by some very cheap stuffing falling out of them! Hands down worst hunting pants ever!!! So whats your story??

Hey KUIUGirl,

I seem to be unable to find your knee in the attached photo, but then again, I sometimes can't see the critters allegedly right in front of me ??? .

My gear failure include an Arizona EZ Fletch jig.  It worked for about a year, but then would not reliably seat the vane to the arrow resulting in frequent lost fletchings.  I went with the Bitzenberger and have zero occurrences since.  I have also had terrible luck with clip on headlamps and maybe my ultimate gear failure was my homemade Ghillie Suit.  Looked fantastic, but a 16 pound jacket is ridiculous :eek: .  I can't pack that even for Turkeys!
The picture is a bigger picture so you have to use the scroll bar to scroll over to see the rest of it! lol sorry should ofmentioned that!  ;)

Thanks for the tip--I was clueless there :-\ .  I never bit on the Butt Out Tool; just graduated quickly to the Gutless Method of field dressing ;D

My biggest epic gear failure was with a cheap Cobra release. I figured I would save some money and buy the $30 release. Well, as luck would have it, there I was 20 yards from the biggest buck I had ever seen (read- first buck I had ever had in front of me) and while coming to full draw the release jaws opened far enough to let the well worn string loop slip through the jaws and I punched myself on the mouth with the back of my hand, all the while sending an arrow well above the bucks back.

I bet that release is still on the dirt in Texas.

ghost said:
My biggest epic gear failure was with a cheap Cobra release.I figured I would save some money and buy the $30 release. Well, as luck would have it, here I was 20 yards from the biggest buck I had ever seen (read- first buck I had ever had in front of me) and while coming to full draw the release jaws opend far enough to let the well worn string loop slip through the jaws and I punched my self in the mouth with the back of my hand all the while sending an arrow well above the bucks back.

I bet you that release is still on the dirt in Texas.

BUMMER!! I would be very upset!!

Purchased a pair of Danner boots from Cabela's and was not sure how to order.  Asked the lady and she said that I should order my exact size and not worry about socks.  They were so unconfortable that I could hardly walk by the end of each hunting day.  Live in Oregon where Danner is located, so I took the boot to them and they said because they were special order for Cabela's they could do nothing for me.  Finally talked to one of the sales man that told me thatthey could stretch them for a price.  After they did that is seem maybe they might work will see.

ghost said:
My biggest epic gear failure was with a cheap Cobra release. I figured I would save some money and buy the $30 release. Well, as luck would have it, there I was 20 yards from the biggest buck I had ever seen (read- first buck I had ever had in front of me) and while coming to full draw the release jaws opened far enough to let the well worn string loop slip through the jaws and I punched myself on the mouth with the back of my hand, all the while sending an arrow well above the bucks back.

I bet that release is still on the dirt in Texas.
Wow, That is an ugly mishap.

Lets see, a bloody lip, a lost arrow/broadhead and no deer. Yea, you could say I was not happy at all.

Rocky mountain "lite" broadheads. These were the first ones I ever bought - don't think they are even sold anymore. Metal was really weak - first deer I shot the head folded over and all the blades were floating around inside the deer. Then the next year I shot a buck too far back, so snuck in close for a follow up shot. I drew back and one of the blades fell off while I was at full draw. I regularly had the blades fall off and Rocky sent me replacement rings as they said that was a common complaint and it seemed to solve it. It made me realize that I needed to put more cash into what goes on the end of my arrow. Don't want to slam Rocky - they made other great heads, but the lites were just too cheap.

worst gear experience was when i was in colorado deer hunting and it was 10 below 0 weather with a simi auto. 30 -6 . I had used gun oil to lube the gun and the action froze up on me.

after 33 years of hunting there has been afew but most recent was 3 years ago,elk bow hunt 20 below my trigger froze closed and could not get it on the string as 2 bulls and 40 cows walked by me,brand I dont remember I now belongs to the county land fill.new one works good.

I really like money and like to see my bank account grow.  (Aka sorta cheap)  :). So I used to buy cheap stuff.  I would scour for sales etc but would still buy cheaper stuff.  I spent misrable late seasons with frozen and wet feet due to cheap boots, cold and wet body due to cotton layers bought at a military surplus store or gear I had been issued.  I had broad head failures because I bought Cabelas brand cheap heads. I bought some Bushnell auto focus binos because they were cheap and I thought it was a cool concept. They eventually stopped working and gave me horrible head aches.  I found a cheap internal frame pack and had to pack a bull out of the high country 4 miles in.  While nothing ripped or broke it was a miserable pack out.  I used to have a bow that was slow, loud, heavy felt like a tuning fork because it was cheap.

My gear for back country hunts was heavy and not as effective because I was cheap.  I havnt had any catostrophic from gear I've chosen but it has made life miserable. I have since learned that if you spend the money and buy quality gear then you won't have to purchase gear again. 

2008 replaced all my issued Army cloths and bought good quality non cotton clothes.  Polyester and fleece only.  (2014. I will replace a lot of this for KUIU clothes)
2009I replaced my PSE Thunderbolt with a Hoyt Alpha Max 32. Also now use Easton Axis arrows and slick Trick heads.
2010 I replaced my cheapo boots for Lowa GTX Hunters.  Got a good range finder. A Leupold RX-ii
2011 I replaced my cheapo pack for a Mystery Ranch Longbow. Also learned about quality wool/poly blended socks
2012 Bought a new GPS and replaced my z-lite mattress for a Big Agnes Q-Core SL. 
2013 So far I have replaced my Kelty Light Year for a Big Agnes Peggy SL.  I am also swapping out my XTR cams for some new RKT cams as well as a new string.  Also gonna buy some a full set of FirstLite or Kuiu clothes.
2014 I still have cheapo binos. A pair of Vortex Diamondbacks. They work but I know I can do better.  I already decided when I return from Afghanistan in 2014 my present to myself will be optics.  Most likely the Vortex Razors 10x42 HD binos and the new Razor 65mm HD spotter.  Havnt decided on a tripod yet.

I would start looking at a tent but my brother just got a Kifaru so no need :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back