One more get into shape tool

NolanOutdoors

Jan 2, 2013
Consider a different tool in your getting fit toolbox.
When I tell friends and family that Marilyn (aka my better half) and I have “gone gluten free” the reaction is usually, “When did you found out you were allergic to wheat?” The fact is, neither of us have any known wheat allergies. Those that know me know I am NOT a diet kind of guy. I have never been on a diet and don’t plan to go on one. Going gluten free is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change and like all change, this one does not come easy either. I understand that going gluten free is not for everyone but I believe it offers life changing benefits to many. Here is our story.
I first heard of the benefits of being gluten free from radio talk show host, Neal Bortz (www.boortz.com). Bortz was boosting of the benefits he enjoyed and pointed to the book, Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health [Hardcover], written by Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist. I bought the book and found it to be very interesting (in a boring kind of way) as I read and learned how eliminating wheat from our diets can prevent fat storage, shrink unsightly bulges, and reverse many health problems.
According to the book, hundreds of millions of Americans consume food products made of wheat. As a result, millions of them experience some form of adverse health effect. Effects ranging from minor rashes, high blood sugar, and stomach bulges that Dr. Davis calls, “wheat bellies.” According to Davis, “excess fat has nothing to do with gluttony, sloth, or too much butter: It’s due to the whole grain wraps we eat for lunch”.
Davis says he has witnessed over 2,000 patients regain their health after giving up wheat. The book outlines dozens and dozens of reasons to avoid wheat. In Wheat Belly, Davis exposes the harmful effects of what is actually a product of genetic tinkering and agribusiness of modern day wheat. The book provides a user-friendly, step-by-step plan to a wheat-free lifestyle. Amazon is a great source to buy the book.
So does it work? I suppose only time will tell but Marilyn and I are now about seven months gluten free. Giving up wheat has proven to be a lifestyle change. The look of our shopping cart has changed and it is noticeable more expensive. We have both taken a complete different approach to our eating habits. Our goal is to remain free from gluten, although we have had a few slip ups along the way. Keep in mind, we have made NO appreciable changes to our lifestyle before or after we went off of wheat products. Here are some of the results we have enjoyed after two months.
I have lost almost 20 pounds (10% of my total tonnage) and about 4-5 inches in my belt size (my wheat belly is shrinking). My energy level is up, even though this is difficult to measure, I have more energy. Marilyn tells me (and my elk hunting friends confirm) I am snoring a LOT less and I know I am sleeping better. I have less indigestion – almost none, I have not been awaken at night with indigestion since going gluten free. I have less skin related issues and I have lost my “9 o’clock” sweet tooth – most nights. One of the things that is difficult to measure is my appetite, but I think it too has somewhat diminished. I think I am eating less and feel completely satisfied.
The real success story is Marilyn. She has lost 8 pounds, which she has been unable to do no matter what she tried for several years. I can testify that she is snoring a LOT less (which may be why I am sleeping better). I think her energy level is up as well and she agrees. Swelling in her feet and ankles has gone away and the sun no longer causes skin rashes. This is the big one; her blood sugar is at an all-time low. I don’t understand the blood sugar thing but it has amazed her. She is thinking if the improvement continues she will be able to completely get off the medication required to control her blood sugar. Our second week into the gluten free experiment her doctor wanted to put her on high blood pressure medication. She did not take the medication and now her BP is well within normal ranges.
What we eat is a choice, one we make every day. My family history points too many heath related issues that Dr. Davis believes may be avoided by being gluten free.  I witnessed both my parents struggle with many heath issues that may have been avoided had they known to live without wheat. I have decided that my desire to remain healthy far ways my desire to eat a bun with my hotdog, or to enjoy a little bread with a meal.
Changing your life style and going gluten free may not be for everyone but it is one more tool to put in your conditioning toolbox.

NolanOutdoors,

Look into the Paleo diet. It is gluten free. And like you said it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

Here a copy from my other post.

Do yourselves a favor and look into the Paleo diet. It's not a diet though, it's a lifestyle.
Pick up the book "The Paleo Solution" by Rob Wolff, pretty easy read.
I have eaten this way for over a year now and started CrossFit at the same time. I lost 25 pounds but gain muscle and feel absolutely great. My wife just did the food part (no CrossFit) and she lost 35 pounds.

No gimmick here but you have to change your diet. Meat, fish, poultry and pork. Your carbs come from veggies. No potato, bread, pasta or rice, AT ALL.  I still drink a few nights a week and have dessert every once in a while.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back