Only 7 Days

Stealth1id

Jan 9, 2013
If you could have 7 days and only 7 days to archery hunt elk when would they be? I personally would say 3 days before the fall equinox thru 3 days after.

First 7 days of the season!  I always used to try and time the peak of the rut, but found I just came across more hunters and less elk.  The late season elk also experienced to much pressure from a bunch of horrible hunters blowing bugles all day long.

I enjoy being alone with unpressured elk that are running around trying to round up cows.  The monster bulls might not move in until a little later, but I'm there for the meat and the thrill of the hunt.

depends on the weather a bit - but prefer the first half of the season than the second half.

Third week of September usually does it for me. That is when I have found the most success in Montana, Idaho, Colorado, and Utah. Problem with Utah is the hunt ends middle of September so the only way to hunt them during this time with archery equipment is on the Wasatch Front.

Tough question with many variables... I would have to pick the last 7 days of the season for the following reasons:
  • Cooler temps here in Idaho by end of season
  • Elk have been hunted hard and have moved to hiding spots which I now know
  • Larger herds to locate and stay with
  • Most people have gone home by then
Even if the last week was full moon, I would still pick last 7 days and locate elk at night.

September 23-28 in my area (Utah-WF).  If we get really cool weather they can start a couple days earlier.  I have taken bulls as early as the 3rd week of August when they are bugling and rounding up cows (pre-rut) on the opener.  I have had rut action and called in bulls all the way through the 10th of October before.  It all depends on the are and the pressure it gets if any.  I don't see many guys where I am at.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back