Optics

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
I'm in the market for binoculars.  I have been thinking Vortex.  Of course Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, etc... all come to mind but are they worth all that $$?  Vortex has a wide variety of binocular models and a great warantee... I was leaning towards the ViperHD. 

I have a pair of Alpen binoculars. They are a newer brand. I think about 10 years old. They have a lifetime no fault warrenty on them. I compared them to vortex, and nikon binoculars that were in the same price range and to me they were a better choice. Everyone's eyes are different, but you should look into the Alpens they are pretty nice. I paid $200 for mine.

In my opinion, if you're looking for a $500-600 pair of binos, I have yet to find one as good as the Viper HD's. They aren't in the same class as the Swaro, Leica, etc., but they are good. If you have a little more budget, the Razor HD's are pretty darn close to the big 3 and half the cost...

Like MT said though, be sure to try them if you can before...everyone's eyes are different. Like boots, one brand may be the best for one person, while another brand may fit better on the next person...

So many people singing the praises of Vortex lately that they have to be on to something good. Try 'em out first and get what you like.

We have been using the stiener predators for years and the clarity is awesome and so is the durability, they snug up to your eye, by have great relief. Well worth the 500 bucks.

I have a set of Vortex Diamondback that are great. Here is a link to Amazon that has 16 pairs for $230
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Binoculars-10x42/dp/B009R8H96Y

I also have a Crossfire II scope on my 30.06 that is great. I would recommend Vortex products - great gear for a good price.

I have heard great things about the Vortex. I had a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarchs that had a bad eye piece so sent them in to be repaired and they sent me a new pair of Monarch 5's. I have been very happy with them.

If you aren't in a big hurry, you can probably still find a pair of the older Zeis ClassiCs for around $500--you will be hard pressed to beat them.--Bill

I've used lower end and upper end optics in the field. The Vortex optics I currently use have been a blessing for those days when the animals aren't moving and you spend a lot of time sitting and staring. The 10 x 42 optics bring in a lot of ambient light and reduce eye strain. Ialso don't feel bad when I bump or bang them as the warranty is solid.

I was asking the same question this past year. I looked through as many bino's as I could find. I tried most of them in the evening right at last light. I found that the vortex line $ for $ was the best option. I would highly recommend the Razor HD's, I know the Swaro guys will hate me  :mad: , but I couldn't see that big of a difference for the $$. Swaro did have better color. If the Razor's are too much, the Vipers HD's are another good option.

You cannot beat the warranty on these either.

I like my Nikon Monarchs.  BUT am curious about the Vortex line as well.  I know my Monarchs were brighter at low light compared to the Vortex Nomad spotting scope I returned to Cabela's. lol

I spent A LOT of time researching this very thing last year and read many posts on AT and other forums (even birding forums).  The most scientific review I could find was from:

http://www.allbinos.com/rankings.html

You can search by brand, magnification or other options...

They actually take a scientific approach to their reviews, unlike magazine articles, that may be subject merely to the authors opinion and experience. 

Ultimately, I went with the Vortex HD line (15x56)...this is not only due to quality, bu also the Vortex warranty (lifetime replacement with no questions asked).  Hope this helps!

KOWA Sport Optics is my go to brand. Was using Nikon Monarchs for years and tried out the KOWA BD 10x42s and SV 10x50s. What a difference and the price is right, too. I have been using them all year and they out perform everything I have ever used.

rwheelerii said:
Never seen the KOWA's. Can you find them in stores to try out?

You won't find them in a Bass Pro or Cabelas, but your specialty optics stores have them. I tried mine out at an optics shop here in SoCal and was sold. Where do you live? Maybe I can help you out in finding a place.

+1 for vortex

i have had to use the warranty and the turn around was awesome. left my binos on the counter and my daughter knocked them onto the tile. it bent a eye piece and chipped the lens. one of the lenses had a small scratch but thought nothing of it. they replaced both lenses and made sure everything was working like it should. they were back in less than 3 weeks from the shipping date and are like brand new.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back