Options for the 24th

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Well, my elk hunting so far this year has been a BUST like no other.

NO encounters first week. And that\'s not from sitting in camp instead of hunting. We put the miles on, for sure. We obeyed the wind. In short, I think we \"hunted well\" ... in elk-less territory. We even changed territories a couple times, searching for the right altitude, the right habitat, but came up short.

So ... now I have the 24-26 left to hunt, and my Plan A, B, C, and D are not going to work. Plan E and F were searched for elk, and there was no new sign. And I don\'t have a Plan G.

After thinking of \"What in the Hell am I going to do?\", I\'ve come to the conclusion that I\'m going to think long-range. I\'m going to \"scout\" spots that look good for the future. I doubt I\'ll get into elk regularly, but I hope to come away with some answers about some new areas, like what the \"usual\" hunting pressure looks like there, different access spots, etc.

And I\'ll be hunting mid-day. Wandering, looking for that lonely, wandering raghorn.

It\'ll be a low-yield type of hunting, but it\'s better than no hunting at all.

And if it doesn\'t work, my tag will carry over to rifle season, though even then I\'ll be in the same \"unscouted\" territory.

Anyone have any luck on those last minute, mid-day hunts in unfamiliar territory?

It sounds like win win to me.

You get to explore a new area that you can possibly hunt in the future, potentially see elk, or completely rule out an area so you don\'t have to check it again in the future.
Plus you get a weekend in the beautiful mountains!

Good luck!

Yeah, it worked out last year. For the very last day of rifle season I picked up my .308 and headed to the woods ... late ... to a spot I wanted to \"scout\" for 2016. At noon, I shot my largest bull ever at 30 yards.

I\'m just going to go with the idea of surrendering all the \"pressure\" of hunting, and we\'ll see what happens.

John, I think that is a great plan. Learning new areas is never a bad thing and what better way to scout it than with a weapon and tag in hand? Sure, it\'s throwing a dart and hoping it hits in the right place, but it sure beats the heck out of not going at all. And you never know, maybe lady luck will show up for you again!

I\'m slowly lining up one day\'s walk already ... about a 5-8 mile trek, but I\'ll stop and put an ATV on one end, then drive to the other. Should keep me from covering the same ground twice.

Then, I\'ll do the same thing in another spot on Day 2.

Although I can find a lot of \"spots\" to cover like this, I\'m going to focus on those close to home. I\'m not looking for a new PRIMARY SPOT ... instead, I\'m looking for a new WEEKEND SPOT ... so I won\'t waste my time on some wilderness bow-hike.

One thing is for sure ... this kind of hunting is where being solo really helps. I think it\'d be tough to do this with two guys -- two have a lot of difficulty with making on-the-spot decisions.

good on you for your determination, and willingness to step back and make radical game plan changes if needed.

all that said....... you have the endorsement of a flatlander Texan who is 1:7 on elk. :think:

sounds great john, i love the \"put the pressure\" of hunting away and just go enjoy your weekend. i think we get so caught up in the destination we miss the trip sometimes. enjoy the adventure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back