Oregon Kitties

beastnatch

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone hunt moutain lion in Oregon? I had the crap scared out of my while elk hunting this year. I was following some elk tracks up a rocky ridge, and at the top I look down the back side to see a cat not 10 feet from me. He was just walking around a rock out of view. I could have spit on it, it was so close! I back-tracked a little in the opposite direction to find that his (or her) tracks were about 2 feet away, parallel with mine. It was stalking me. I felt like the hunter had just become the hunted. I've seen tons of sign, but never as much as this year. This was in the Strawberry Mountain wilderness.
I bought a predator call (Foxpro) that I will have some fun with this year. Maybe just for coyote's, but I want to see if I can call in a cat. Anyone have any tips on doing so? Which type of call, Time of day, etc.?

man that is pretty scary.  Oregon dfw told me that the cat numbers are really bad up there and you can get a mountain lion tag for 14 dollars. If I end up hunting Oregon this fall I will definitely get a tag just in case I see one

Unless they changed it cougar season is year round in Oregon. In Spring using fawn/calf distress calls works great from what I hear. I actually called a bear in while elk hunting using a cow call in early September. Thought I had an elk coming in behind me so I draw back and out pops a bear at 30 yards, so you never know what will come in.

Garrett Weaver said:
Unless they changed it cougar season is year round in Oregon. In Spring using fawn/calf distress calls works great from what I hear. I actually called a bear in while elk hunting using a cow call in early September. Thought I had an elk coming in behind me so I draw back and out pops a bear at 30 yards, so you never know what will come in.

black or grizz?

Yes cougar season is all year around,I say tag or not shoot!!!!We have had them within feet of our house in town.

I bought a foxpro also and hope to put it to use if I can  find the time between fishing and honeydoos ::)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back