Oregon preference point problem

whtelk

Jan 2, 2013
In Oregon you get one preference point every year that you do not draw your first choice. Over the years there has been a real point creep to where it can take any where from 5 to 15 years to draw a tag in some units.
I think that the point system needs a big over haul. One idea would be 50% of the tags go to the highest point holders and the other 50% go into a random drawing. The way it is now there is a 25% pool. 50% makes things a little better for all in my opinion.
Any one have good ideas? or leave it the way it is?

I think they should be like idaho and have no point system.  They just allow a certain number of tags for non residents to have whether its OTC or Draw.  That way you dont have to worry about buying points and what not.

The whole point system need to go away but still have something so the animals are not wiped out,maybe a certain amount of tags for residents first come first serve,im sure there is better ways than what we have now!!!!

I don't see how first come first serve would work. People like myself would be camped out at the point of sales for days... LOL ..... I think Oregon should at least give us 10 preference points if you turn a poacher and he gets prosecuted.
Oregon should do some thing because family tradition of hunting together every year is now impossible.
I can see our entire state going to a draw only, ODFW seems to really like the amount of money this raises.

I have mixed feelings about the way Oregon does things. I've always wondered if the " Choose your weapon" would help with the points system?

ODFW = The Oregon department of little fish and no game. Really don't have much good to say about. Whatever they do is best for them. However they can raise the most money they will. I think the new fee's like the parking permits you have to buy to park out in the woods for 10$ is a great example, starts this hunting season and it is mandatory. We got a free permit this year. Oregon needs a new system not sure what the answer is tho. I agree with linds1007.

yeah bullhunter hardly any one knows about it, only reason I found out is becuase the guy at bi-mart told me about it when I got my tags.

Being fairly new to the point game in western states (been picking them up for about 5 years) I don't know if I have the complete answer but know one thing for sure. Statistically speaking (and I love statistics) the states that have only a few truly good units always have point creep. Both Washington and Oregon have a couple great units but that is it. This causeseveryone to put in for only a few good units. Presto! 20 year waiting period for a very good tag. I say, go points everywhere, or don't go at all. New Mexico is a good model for a non point system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back