oxygen bar

hooter44

May 20, 2013
Being from texas and flat ground I  worry about being able to breath once I get to 10000 ft I have been getting ready for months im at the point now where i am hiking 5 miles a night with a 50 lb sack of feed in my bad lands 2200 but I know its still going to be tuff  hunting in the high elevation and steep drainages.  Today someone asked me if I have heard of portable oxygen bars so done some research and found that they have 1.6 ounces bottles of  I believe 90 percent pure oxygen. 7" tall and small in diameter and has 12 servings of it.. Has any one out there heard of it or even maybe tried it. If its worth it I will use just about anything to get me in and out (hopefully with a elk on my back) to make my hunt successful

It would take me forever to type all the negative reasons to why Not to do this on my phone.  So in short terms there are better options.  Check out Altitude Sickness on the web and how to counteract it.  Nothing will beat a few days extra on the front end to acclimate!  Please consider other options.

As a fellow TX flatlander I would tell you to show up in camp in shape and expect to be more out of breath than usual.  Additionally you may sleep a little more restlessly than usual, but unless you are prone to alt sickness, I would not expect worse than this...I've been hunting the last few years up at 10 to 12k and used the WA altitude advantage, not entirely sure it's done anything,but ive never had an issue so I keep using it when I'm up at high altitudes for extended trips.

I would agree with what Big Tex said.  I am from South La the max altitude I train at is 35'  yea thats 35' and have hunted 10,000 to 12,500 three times now.  Do more exerecise than you think you need.  hicking and walking is most important but if you cando some running do it.  i have gone without running and it seems your lungs dont get the workout they need.  even if you can only run a quarter mile per mile of walking it will help.  I also take the supplements to help with a-sickness. not sure they work but i have never gotten sick.  DRINK LOTS OF WATER.  This helps alot. Be prepared to have a slight head ack for the first 3 days.  its no big deal but knowing its normal helps.  Getting there early and not overdoing it at first seems to help quite a bit as well. on the last trip i went i spent 2 days at camp prior to hunting and at 12,000' i was able to skoot up the  mountain much better then trips when i didnt acclimate some.  most of all slow down and have fun!

Talk to your Dr.  about Diamox.....it ultimately helps increase your red blood cells, thus increasing your blood oxygen intake each time you breath.  It is commonly prescribed in advance to head off altitude sickness....usually take it several weeks before the trip and during the trip.  Look up ams (acute mountain sickness) or altitude sickness on the web along with diamox.....there are several good mountain climbing websites on this.  As an eastern hunter, I have taken this for years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back