P90x

jmoran582

Sep 2, 2015
Hey guys I'm going to Colorado next year for my first elk hunt and wanted to see if anyone used P90x for their training.  And you felt during your hunt?  Was it sufficient?

I train with it right now and just want to know if I should change things up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Used Insanity a couple years ago. Felt great until I trashed my right shoulder. My surgeon said Shawn T brought him a lot of business. I was 51 at the time so had a lot of wear and tear, but I'll start again this winter. Just be careful.

I've gone through a few rounds of P90x and now I'm on third round of x3. Just curious if wind wise it made you feel prepared? I'm going to add pack training as well to get used to carrying a heavily weighted pack.

heres the deal guys, if you want to get stronger you lift weights, if you want to work on cardio you do interval cardio training, if you want to do endurance, you run or row something along those lines as far as you can then keep pushing it each and every time.

things like p90x and cross fit, yes they work, but not as good as simply training for what you need.  I also do not agree with using weights In a timed and quick manner.  if you want to get stronger, you lift and lift properly. 

Strength is built in the gym, endurance is gained with sweat and your weight is controlled in the kitchen. 

There is no efficient way to do all three at the same time, or two even.

K9Kodi said:
heres the deal guys, if you want to get stronger you lift weights, if you want to work on cardio you do interval cardio training, if you want to do endurance, you run or row something along those lines as far as you can then keep pushing it each and every time.

things like p90x and cross fit, yes they work, but not as good as simply training for what you need.  I also do not agree with using weights In a timed and quick manner.  if you want to get stronger, you lift and lift properly. 

Strength is built in the gym, endurance is gained with sweat and your weight is controlled in the kitchen. 

There is no efficient way to do all three at the same time, or two even.
So I'm assuming that you are super ripped? I didn't ask for ways to get stronger or how to train for a marathon.  I just asked if anyone else had used P90x for their training and if they felt like it was enough.

I've used the P90X workouts and Insanity workouts, in addition to a bunch of other training. Insanity beats P90X as far as pure cardio goes, but P90X does help. P90X will help you improve your conditioning, especially if you go hard on legs&back. However, there isn't one perfect program so I'd say do P90X, then do Insanity, or maybe do CrossFit for awhile, and spend a few weeks in the gym doing squats, deads, lunges, and step ups. Mixing it up helps keep you interested in working out, because after 90 days of Tony or 60 days of Shaun T you will have zero motivation to do another workout just because you've done it all before.

Check out athleanx, the guy is a strength and conditioning coach for a lot of pro athletes mostly baseball and football, but his stuff is legit. You can check out his stuff on you tube. I really enjoy hisstuff, p90x and insanity didn't fit my style. Best of luck

This year I did a hybrid workout of P90X3 and Insanity Max 30 before work in the mornings.  A few of these days I would load my pack and walk the stairs in the house with anything from 40 to 90 lbs...150 flights total up and down.  Evenings I would run 3 to 5 miles at my sons football practice a few times a week.  Other evenings I would take that loaded pack and go for a hike...40 to 60 pounds or so.  I found nothing I couldn't do on my backpack hunt in Colorado and we packed out 2 elk.

I did p90x and it helped but was not enough.  I don't believe there is enough cardio and endurance.  Also nothing really beats weighted pack training to train for how you'll work your legs and hips.

I did my first otc archery elk hunt last year and I was fine hiking the mountains.I did p90x and insanity last year before my first hunt and that helped.

But i also did a least 3 days a week with 60-80lbs in my pack for 3-5 miles with at least a couple hundred feet of elevation gain/loss.  I live in the midwest, so finding the 1000+ elevation gains is pretty tough.  The other thing i found very beneficial was doing box step up's with a weighted pack as well.
Then after each work out I would shoot a minimum of 5 arrows.

I've never did the P90X.  I usually run and strength training 3-4 times aweek.  I'm lucky because I live out west and live at over 6000ft. 

My recommendation is don't focus on a lot of weight lifting and bulk up.  You'll be better of toning up.  It's better to focus on cardio and leg strength.  Remember your legs will get you where the animals are and will get the meat out when you get one down. 

If you have a school near by run up and down the bleachers, this can also be done with a weighted pack.  Please don't overdue it at first, but progressively work you way up until you've met you goal. 

Bottom line is get in the best shape posdible and it will make your hunt more enjoyable!

I would say leg workouts are the most important part. A few years ago I was running all the time and only doing moderate upper body stuff. When I got to the hills I could go wherever the critters where. Last year I messed up my knee in mid summer so I focused more on my upper body since my knee wouldn't let me do to much except for walking(and even that hurt). When I got to the hills I thought I was gonna die every time I saw an animal more than 10 feet in front of me that I had to chase(all were more than that) This year I plan on packing a backpack with weights and walking to work every day which is almost a mile. So I will get a two mile walk every day with weights in my pack. Then I will probably jog to work once my legs have built up the endurance for the pack. Every night after the kids go to work I usually do some upper body workouts for about 20 min. Like live2hunt said, get your legs and hips used to the weight. Every year I go out the first day or two my legs and hips have to adjust to the weight and uneven terrain.

I have used P90X also. I agree with several folks on the page that it's all about the legs. The elk don't care if you have  a six pack, but you need to have endurance to get where your going. I typically run several hundred miles through the summer months and start walking/hiking with a weighted pack at least 30 days before your hunt. Just remember you can't be in to good of shape. Good luck with your hunt!

K9Kodi said:

I agree 100%. I always say that fitness starts at the fridge.

I've never tried PX90 and have had an interest in it a few times, but haven't deviated from my current plan/approach. Regarding training for elk hunting, I train year round and since I'm only hunting 1-2 months of the year I try to balance strength, endurance and weight. For example I lift Mon, Wed, Fri and do interval training and/body weight endurance stuff on Tues/Thur with some sort of hiking with a pack on Saturdays. That way I'm training for being ready year round but when elk season comes I feel ready to roll without too many adjustments. Just my $.02.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back