Pack In/Out Distance

ryancolter96

Feb 28, 2017
Hey y'all,

Going on my first elk hunt this August to CO. I've found tons of great info from everyone on this site, but of course I still have some questions. I'm currently planning out trail routes for the area I'll be hunting. It will be me and a buddy, we'll be traveling fairly light, we're both in good shape, but not used to altitude, and we will be in what's known to be a very rugged area. My question is, how far is too far to hike in? I was thinking a 3-4 mile hike to camp from the parking area is good, but I don't know if that's amateur milage or if that's mileage only experienced mountain hunters should be making. Any response helps.
[/size]
[/size]Thanks!

Last year I was in pretty good shape and walked to work everyday with a 30lb pack on. I killed an elk about 1.5 miles from my truck. It took me about 4 hours in the dark to get him cut up. And I packed him out the next morning. I started at my home back in about 7 am and didn't get the last load or took about noon. I had taken one load out the night before when I was walking back to the truck.
It wasn't too bad till the next morning and I was sore as could be. I was planning to be in better shape this year and was running really good. Then I had a surgery 2 weeks ago and it killed all my workout momentum. I still have about two weeks before I'm suppose to start working out. But that will be plenty of time.
With you and a buddy in good shape I wouldn't​ worry about 2 miles IF it's downhill like my pack out last year. Uphill will be a completely different animal. But doable.

"I'm currently planning out trail routes for the area I'll be hunting
"we're both in good shape, but not used to altitude"

Couple questions for you:

1.Where are you from, for altitude comparison?
2. Can you make a trip with your buddy to head in late July or Aug?

taking a short trip in closer to season will help you determine the traffic on the trail (animals, boots, horses, or ATV use).Sometimes the easiest routes in are the worst. Only because you are not the only hunter thinking the same thing. I still have yet to find an elk spot worthy of staying in within 2 miles from truck or camp. Allmine spots are 3+ miles.

The best way to prepare for altitude is cardio endurance training. Train for stamina and muscle/lung endurance, your body and lungs will thank you later when your in CO at high elevation. 

It will be more downhill than uphill for the pack out luckily. Also, my altitude currently is like 1,000 Ft. in West TX.... So it'll be a significant altitude increase for sure. Unfortunately we won't be able to make it up there before the actual hunt. I was looking into it as a possibility, but I don't see myself being able to take a 10 hour drive on a weekend... There's always the chance though!

If you already have a specific spot in mind, disregard, but if not you can go on the forest service website and find their vehicle use maps and try to find roads that are gated or recently closed to atv/truck traffic.  This takes some work, because you'll need to compare the vehicle use pdf map to a topo map that shows the all the existing road/trail infrastructure....but it has enabled me to locate roads that see little to no other hunters but are maintained enough to allow fast hiking or mountain biking in several miles.  One location I hunt allows me to bike in with a trailer 4.5 miles to the edge of a wilderness area, set up base camp, and hunt from there.

Regarding the fitness aspect of it all....good cardio is very important, but also make sure your strengthening your legs with squats, weighted lunges, hikes with a heavy pack, etc. to ensure your muscles can manage the extra weight of packing meat out so you don't risk blowing a knee out or some other injury.  Just my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back