Pack Options

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
Ok guys I am racking my brain trying to figure out what pack I want to get. I have went to several different forums and there are a lot of biased reviews depending on what forum you are on. So here is what I am looking for. I want a pack that is going to be able to haul 5-7 days worth of gear into the back country, I could run as a day pack while hunting, will be able to haul out meat plus gear and will not break the bank. I am not opposed to buying used gear either if I can find the deal before someone else. Here are a couple packs I have been considering:
EXO Mountain 5500
Kuiu Icon pro 5200
Outdoorsmans Optic Hunter system
Kifaru (used gear) most expensive

Like I said I am reading a lot of biased reviews depending on what forum I am on. I know that on here there are usually unbiased opinions.

thanks for the help

I put LTsheets exo 5000 on and it distributed the weight real nice.
He had a fair amount of gear, the barbary sheep, and I feel like he could have put in a lot more too.

If I wanted a pack upgrade I\'d probably buy that.

That is at the top of my list right now. I spoke with their customer service rep and he was really helpful.

It also helped because his pack is a direct match to the OCP camo. So it fits for everywhere I hunt.
Not like camo color should drive the pack choice, but it was definitely an added benefit.

I know he could fit his rifle in it, I just didn\'t look to see if I could attach a bow to it safely.

I know it\'s not on your list and you\'ve probably gotten to try Dan\'s, but I have been very impressed with the Horn Hunter Full Curl System that I recently purchased. I have no plans on packing my camp in, but I was able to get a great deal on the whole system used. They just upgraded the pack as well, so you can find the older style brand new for very inexpensive right now. Just throwing it out there for you or anyone else to consider!

There is so much room in that pack that it\'s making me consider packing camp in...but then I remember how comfortable my Cabelas XL cot is! :lol:

This is true, I didn\'t mention it because it wasn\'t on the list, but I love my horn hunter.
It\'s turned into my day pack, bivy pack, pack out pack, you name it.

Fairly priced, lots of room, and I do whatever I want with it.
The same trip I tried ltsheets out, mine was full too and I was able to get everything out comfortably. This was after 6 miles of scouting and another 3-4 mile pack out weighted down. I don\'t see myself changing any time soon. I love my full curl.

If I was going into the backcountry for 5-7 days I would load up my Kelty Cache Hauler with my necessities, along with my fanny pack.

Once I get my spike camp set up, all I need is my fanny pack because I would be hunting near camp.
If I get something down, I will probably be taking it to my spike camp before I head back to the truck.

I dont need for a big pack all day if I have a camp nearby.

I will be doing some 3 day bivy hunts this year. I can get it all in my Badlands 2200. I know it handles quarters well too. It fits me good and that is what matters.

Kifaru came out with a new pack a few months back. There are some great deals on the bikini frames of you search around the different forums. Hard to beat except for the price...thus the used route! I put 2 front shoulders, a back quarter, straps, loins and trim meet in mine last year and it packed it beautifully. I almost died but that\'s probably the packs fault...it just let me keep filling it with meat! Best part is it\'s extremely light so I wear it as a day pack too. I\'ve used a lot of fanny packs with backpack straps and the Kifaru is way more comfortable and believe it or not similar in weight (bikini with nomad).

I have a Molle II Gen 4 frame with shoulder harness and molle belt . I added a shelf and five load straps. It is capable of hauling well over 200 pounds. I designed it so I could place almost any type of pack on it. Also just about everything from dry bags to 7 gal. water jugs to camp stoves, meat quarters, or anything else you can imagine.

I got the icon pro from my boys for Christmas. The 5200. I\'m looking forward to using it. Very adaptable. I\'ve seen the Exo and it\'s a great pack, too. I have a Molle pack, too, and it\'ll be my backup. The Icon is a lot more user friendly and a lot easier to use as a day pack.i wouldn\'t use the Molle like that. It\'s a hauler. Doing what Brad said works, too. An Alps hauler on Amazon plus a Tenzig fanny pack on Camofire will take you a long way!

One pack that I originally started to look at and just found on closeout is the Eberlestock Blue Widow. A guy I am working with downrange uses one and he says he loves it. He hasn\'t hauled any meat out with it but has used it to haul in camp to an area that Dan mule deer hunted this year in NM. It is a tough hike in and the guy I work with said the pack was very comfortable. I\'m looking at a few more reviews on the Eberlestock but it is looking like that might be the way I end up going. For the price I can\'t beat it. Any Eberlestock users have feedback?

I was going to buy the Icon Pro 5200 because I could get a 26\" frame and it was reasonably priced compared to other packs that would fit someone 6\'4\". I was ready to purchase when a friend made me a great deal on a Mountain Warrior duplex frame. It is way more pack than I need. I would have never paid full price for a Kifaru but I am extremely happy with mine. I am looking forward to getting a bunch of miles in wearing it this summer with about 40 lbs in it. This allows me to tweak the fit on my pack and get into much better pack shape.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

\"Bowfreak\" said:
I was going to buy the Icon Pro 5200 because I could get a 26\" frame and it was reasonably priced compared to other packs that would fit someone 6\'4\". I was ready to purchase when a friend made me a great deal on a Mountain Warrior duplex frame. It is way more pack than I need. I would have never paid full price for a Kifaru but I am extremely happy with mine. I am looking forward to getting a bunch of miles in wearing it this summer with about 40 lbs in it. This allows me to tweak the fit on my pack and get into much better pack shape.

Mark you have a good friend making you a deal on the Kifaru pack. I have been looking at them but they really hold their value and are out of my budget for a new one. Over on Rokslide it\'s a cult like following of them.

\"vthokee\" said:
\"Bowfreak\" said:

Mark you have a good friend making you a deal on the Kifaru pack. I have been looking at them but they really hold their value and are out of my budget for a new one. Over on Rokslide it\'s a cult like following of them.
Yes. It was a great deal. He is a gear junkie and had 2 kifarus setups. He is also a take everything bit the kitchen sink guy and his other ba was bigger. This pack had never been out of his home.

i subscribed to the rabid, absolutely gushing CULT following of kifaru over at rokslide and bought a Timberline2 on a bikini frame.

it took almost a month to get it..and when i did, i immediately opened the box. the anticipation was killing me. i was carefully working the knife thru the tape to not cut any of the contents. i peel the box back, and half expect a cacophony of angels singing a perfect harmonic note..\"ahhhhhhhh\"..and for my face to get gently washed with a warm, loving light emitting from the box..

i pull the pack out and it was quite honestly a let down. it really is just a regular pack with additional attachment points. sure it might have more weight carrying capacity (it does), and it is very comfortable (it really is), but it is just a regular pack. meat has to go inside.

my NEXT pack will have the meat shelf between the bag and frame. can i do it on my kifaru? sure. but it takes relatively major surgery to configure it that way..and a few hundred $$ of accessories.

it\'s so funny to me when someone says a Kifaru makes 60 lbs feel like 30. seriously..i fail to see how the laws of physics cease to exist with these packs. it must be the pixie dust firing out of your butt from the unicorn mane-thread used to sew them together.

i love my KIFARU..sure.comfy, adjustable, pretty good load lifters. but it isnt the magic pill needed to get me back to high country hunts. that magic pill has a meat shelf.

Well I have made my purchase for my pack this year. I ended up spending a little more money than I had originally planed. I thought that our aircrew used the Eberlestock packs so last night I looked at their packs and they are actually Mystery Ranch. Well Mystery Ranch bags have been out of the running because of price. Unfortunately the ones our crews use are small so they wouldn\'t fit the bill for what I need. I liked how they felt though, the construction of them and the way they felt on my back. Granted the load was only about 25lbs worth of gear but still nice packs. So last night I looked at MR webpage and still couldn\'t justify $500+ for a bag. So I go to bed thinking that I am going to get the Eberlestock Blue Widow and press on with that pack. Fast fwd to this morning. I come into work and it was pure chaos.. I finally get settled in for the day and send my wife a message. After doing that I decide hey lets see what deals Camofire has and dang if they didn\'t have two Mystery Ranch bags on there for under $400. I ended up getting the Mystery Ranch Metcalf for $359 with an additional 15% off from a coupon I had been saving in my email. Now to get home and try it out.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. This bag will last me for years.

I noticed Camofire this morning and was going to let you know but I see you have already seen the deals. I hope your new pack works the way you want it to.

\"vthokee\" said:
Well I have made my purchase for my pack this year. I ended up spending a little more money than I had originally planed. I thought that our aircrew used the Eberlestock packs so last night I looked at their packs and they are actually Mystery Ranch. Well Mystery Ranch bags have been out of the running because of price. Unfortunately the ones our crews use are small so they wouldn\'t fit the bill for what I need. I liked how they felt though, the construction of them and the way they felt on my back. Granted the load was only about 25lbs worth of gear but still nice packs. So last night I looked at MR webpage and still couldn\'t justify $500+ for a bag. So I go to bed thinking that I am going to get the Eberlestock Blue Widow and press on with that pack. Fast fwd to this morning. I come into work and it was pure chaos.. I finally get settled in for the day and send my wife a message. After doing that I decide hey lets see what deals Camofire has and dang if they didn\'t have two Mystery Ranch bags on there for under $400. I ended up getting the Mystery Ranch Metcalf for $359 with an additional 15% off from a coupon I had been saving in my email. Now to get home and try it out.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. This bag will last me for years.

Wow! That is a great deal. Congrats.

Awesome Alan! Give us a review if you can. I\'m anxious to see it as I haven\'t heard much about them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back