Passthrough

VERY COOL!! I have taken 6 elk with my bow with all but one a complete pass through.. those rosie bulls are tuff!!

Most of mine have been pass throughs. But thinking about what the broad head does when you still have it in the elk every time it move or hits brush against the arrow when sticking out of it, I guy might want it to stop so it keeps doing damage, idk food for thought. Pass throughs are cool though!

For you guys getting pass throughs, what weight is your arrow and what type of point if you dont mind sharing.
I shoulder shot a 4x4 and stopped in the shoulder with maybe 2 inch penetraion. My one connection I was shooting a CE Mayhem and 125 grain Muzzy 3 blade.
My friend shoulder shot a 5x5 with same results. A few days later he got a pass through on a 6x6.  He was shooting an Beman arrow and a 100 grain Muzzy MX4.
I'm going with cut on contact now. Sorry, I do not know the arrow weights.

Nice pic,  looks familiar  ;)  Oh yeah I was there!!! 

I shoot about 410-420 grain arrow and have gotten a passthrough about half the time, a couple of my last ones punched through but the fletchings hung on to the hide on the exit so my arrow would stay in there until it caught on some brush or a tree and then fall out.  I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100g BH, I'm sure there are better cut on contact BHs out there but I've always had good luck with the classic Muzzys and they are cheap so I figure why change.

On deer I've had a passthrough on every one.  Elk, I've only have a passthrough on 2.  All the others either hit the off-side shoulder or rib and stopped. 

Only one of my 9 bulls have been a complete passthrough which was the one I killed this year.  This year's bull was the first bull that I've had to track and I have watched all of the other 8 go down.  Seems most of the bulls are quarting, so I catch bone.  I'm shooting Easton Axis 340's and Striker 100's.  Total arrow weight is 418 grains and current setup about 283fps.

The only time I have not gotten a pass thru were on the straight on shots, and two of those were pass thru's.
I have shot all of my elk with arrows ranging from 400-425gr, with a 29" draw, pulling 60lbs. The majority have been shot with 100gr 1-3/8" cut Grim Reaper Razortips, but have shot others with 100gr and 125gr VPA's, 100gr Atoms, 100gr Slick Tricks....and there are two others I cannot think of right now. I will have to look them up when I get back.

I am shooting Black Eagle Carnivore Arrows. about 370gr. getting about 300fps and 74 ft # KE..
Great speed and penetration

I shoot a 426 gr arrow (total weight including BH) topped with a 100 gr Montec G5 broadhead.

Last year I shot a bull at 15 yards broadside and I didn't have a pass through. I was pretty ticked, but I think it ended up helping me because I hit the bull a little high and I think the arrow cut him up pretty good inside, but I still want a pass through.

All I care about is getting enough penetration to do the job. It all depends on what you hit, if you hit between ribs a 40# bow will get you a pass through. If you hit a rib or the shoulder (missing the bone) you will probably find a broken arrow but still have good penetration. I have not had a pass through yet but have also not tracked more then 30 yards so far (hope that luck keeps up) :)

I'm shooting carbon express maxima 350's with the classic muzzy 100 grain 3-blade broadheads. They haven't let me down yet so I refuse to change. They truly are bad to the bone. Last year I shot my bull at 18yds and when the bull took off he broke the arrow shaft with the far shoulder. All that was left in him was the fletchings. Went about 17 yds and promptly expired.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back