Pigs...sometimes I get it right !

elkmtngear

Aug 9, 2017
This hog has been my nemesis this Summer. Killed one of her young ones about a month ago, because she wouldn\'t come near the stand.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed she and her brood had been hitting the pond on a regular basis. I got a late start, and decided to take a shortcut to the pond...BUSTED !! Heard her blow, and there were pigs scattering everywhere.

I just returned from visiting my Daughter in Okinawa, and the landowner was kind enough to send me his trailcam pics...they were hitting the pond at nearly the same time every evening (between 7 and 8 PM). Got there early, sprayed the heck out of myself with scent killer...and quietly made my my way to the stand. I was texting with Iccyman Dan while in the tree...telling him I had a good feeling about it.

Sure enough, like clockwork, they came in (surprisingly with the wind at their back) right around 7:30. I couldn\'t get a good broadside shot on the sow when they were moving in, so I waited for her to hit the pond. She made her way out to the middle, giving me about a 25 yard shot. Finally, she turned, and I put the smack on her!

Darth%20Sow_zpsjj9m8hc5.jpg

It was a complete pass through (arrow is still in the middle of the pond)...she went about 20 yards and piled up.

Entry Wound:
entry_zpsqi74s3gt.jpg

Exit Wound:
exit_zpsdioha2w3.jpg

It was a great warm-up for deer Season next weekend!

\"iccyman001\" said:
Great job Jeff!!!!! Looks tasty!

What broadhead and arrow set up do you have?

Dan, I went \"old school\" on her. I Shoot Easton Gamegetter Aluminums (XX75 400). I have a bunch of Magnus Stingers I bought for Elk Season (I\'m a 2 blade guy)...but I didn\'t want to waste one on a pig. So I dug out some of my old Bear Superlight broadheads, and sharpened them up real good. Did a helluva job on her! I think I\'ll be using that combo on deer next weekend.

\"cnelk\" said:
Thats awesome Jeff.

Are they good eats? Or on the chewy side?

Brad, even the big boars I\'ve killed out there have been amazingly good.

The pork loins are THE BOMB...I marinate them in Stubbs Pork Marinade, and grill them to an internal temp of around 145 degrees. Ribs are amazing cooked low and slow.

On the last 2 pigs, I didn\'t grind any of it. Just cut up all the meat in chunks, and made pulled pork in my crock pot. It\'s a staple for us right now...since I\'m down to my last elk steaks...

Thanks guys. Yeah, it\'s always a big relief when you watch your arrow go right where you were looking...and an even bigger one when they go down that quick! Wish they could all be like that :angle:

You have been deadly on the pigs last couple of years! Worked out much better than sitting in 25 deg weather in Jan down in SC , at night!! :sick:

\"KHNC\" said:
You have been deadly on the pigs last couple of years! Worked out much better than sitting in 25 deg weather in Jan down in SC , at night!! :sick:

Boy you got that right, Buddy! Never knew I could be that cold in the South, I was not prepared for that. The coolest part of that trip, was seeing those Whitetail Bucks come in at dusk. Pretty cool thrill for a West Coast guy! :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back