Plan "B"

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
Well I only applied to Utah this year for Elk as I had 14 points and the unit i applied for everyone has been getting the tag that had that many in the past. I did not want to end up with multiple tags so I did not try to burn my CO points, or apply to NM or anywhere else. This year I had 3 weeks vacation planned and set aside. I figured I had a great chance at this UT tag and the results where emailed last night.

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Bull Elk

So now I have to figure out where I\'m going to head to

I have to figure out \"Plan B\" .........

Is there a spike/cow tag available for the unit you plan to draw? Would be great to get a hunt in to learn the unit and hopefully draw a bull tag next year.

Yes, they do have \"spike\" tags in that unit and it is indeed on my \"Plan B\" list of possibilities. (thanks for bringing that up)

I also have points for WY Antelope and the draw is still open.

I am thinking of picking up a MT leftover tag

Or possibly heading back to CO OTC

Iowa whitetail was on there but I crossed it off for now as I can hunt deer here and need to get my out west fix this season. :D

\"midwest\" said:
Is there a spike/cow tag available for the unit you plan to draw? Would be great to get a hunt in to learn the unit and hopefully draw a bull tag next year.

I would look real hard at doing this if you have not hunted the area before. If you have hunted the area before I would look at the other options. You are going to burn 14 years of waiting I would want to know all I could before I went.

\"F M\" said:
\"midwest\" said:

I would look real hard at doing this if you have not hunted the area before. If you have hunted the area before I would look at the other options. You are going to burn 14 years of waiting I would want to know all I could before I went.
x2 for sure! You have the opportunity to learn a bunch! If I were you, I\'d try to do the same thing for Colorado where you are anticipating burning points. Maybe a week and a half in each state???? Could be a spectacular \'scouting\' trip with the opportunity to being home some meat. Great suggestion Nick :upthumb:

My Plan B would be would the Spike/Cow tag for sure.

You were planning to go there if you drew the tag correct?
You can hunt it twice now

Thats pure gold

I\'m with the spike/cow tag if it doesn\'t effect your PP... Like folks have said it would be a great scouting trip for when you do draw and let you bring home some meat if you want to...

How long is the season for the hunt you applied for and also for the spike/cow season????

Whatever you chose remember 3 weeks out west in the high country is a lot better that 3 weeks at work... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Have 14 pets now in Utah also. Maybe next yr. :p Plan A is my NM MZ hunt and CO over the counter hunt. Like the idea of spike hunt. Might do that next yr in Utah.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

I now have 15 going into next years draw, will have to see what the archery dates will be as I think this is the best dates in the cycle this year. I think the spike tags are OTC I will have to check and cow is lottery I believe. My buddy has hunted this unit years past so I do have some Intel. I am interested to see the draw odds as I thought for sure I had enough to get the tag but creep must have gotten me.

Going to have to start my planning but I have to head out of state on Tuesday and wont be back for 9 days as my father in law passed away.

Need to handle these things then will be planning for the fall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back