Planning for an Emergency

Bubba

Jan 1, 2013
How many on here plan for an emergency when hunting. When you are planning your hunt out of state do you locate the nearest hospital or have a plan in place if you or someone in your party gets hurt? Do you have a backup plan if you cell phone doesn't work? I'm a Firefighter/ Paramedic and I'll be the first to admit I never really thought about it! What got me thinking about this was someone asked in another topic if anyone has used Qwik Clot..... I would like to see what some of you have to say.

My hunting partner is a Fireman too, And I hunt out west every year,and I am sure he carries a better first aid kit then I do, but we both have one, And when we are in town, we check too see where the Hospital is, or nearest emergence facility is, if we would need it.

Kevin

I carry a small first aid kit for minor cuts and such. I have thought of a "real" emergency at my wifes prompting, That would be a real challenge just getting there. There is a hospital about 20 miles away from where we hunt, but getting there would be a real challenge.

Really good question and not easy to answer. Short of carrying a full scale medical bag and the knowledge to use it, it would be difficult to be ready for all that can happen on a day trip or extended bivy hunt.
It is everyones hope, nothing that requires immediate medical attention ocurrs. Sprained/strained ankles, pulled muscles and minor cuts we can deal with (duct tape). Something major like heart attack, broken limbs, head injuries and serious lacerations would be outside most everyones scope of abilities unless you have had special training.
The first question is; can you take the victim to the hospital or will they have to come to the victim. Either way it's not good. If they would have to stay, then an emergency blanket, bic lighter, water and some food would be good to leave with the victim while you go for help. These items I already carry in my daypack.
I take with me to base camp several ace bandages, knee and ankle wraps, along with instant ice packs and a few left over narcotics from past injuries. I do program all the local emergency numbers into my phone for the area I am hunting. A GPS to mark coordinates is great also.

Like most people, I carry a first kit w/quikclot. I hunt alone in areas without cell coverage. In a worst case scenario help will have to locate and come to me. As such I carry a personal locator beacon. An ACR ResQLink. It is about the size of a cell phone .Deploy the antenna and push a button to activate. It broadcasts a unique satellite signal to alert search and rescue to my location. I don't go in the back country without it.

Attachments

• ACR ResQLink.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 48
For years I hunted solo. Most of my trips were Bivi type. I put together a pretty small but comprehensive first aid kit which I felt would cover 75% of any issues I could come across.
Thankfully I've never had to use it. It is one of those things that you look in your pack and wander if you should leave it behind. For that reason I labeled mine "Murphy" as in "Murphy's Law".  Now it's always with me, even now while hunting with my hunting partners.

As far as communications go. I have tested my cellphone everywhere I hunt and at the worst places I can still get a text out. If that was not the case I would rent a sat phone.

I carry basic first aid stuff but I haven't done things like locate a hospital.  I am planning on getting a SPOT or InReach for emergencies

Mountain Bowhunter said:
I carry basic first aid stuff but I haven't done things like locate a hospital.  I am planning on getting a SPOT or InReach for emergencies

I did a lot of research on the SPOT and was taken back by the amount of negative feedback people were giving it after using them. One major complaint was the fact that it would not send the message and terrible customer service. I figured I'd wait until they get their act together and then try them.  No need to carry anything else on my pack that won't work 200% of the time

I have a Spot and haven't had any issues with it. I send My wife a message everyday and she recieves it. Haven't had to use it in an emergency, thank God...

I have heard inreach is much better.  Made by Delorme GPS.  It will do everything a SPOT will do but it also has two way messaging (send and recieve, not just send) and it will turn a smart phone into a gps viewer, so you don't need a gps.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/

i'm looking at gps locator options this year.  i hunt solo and carry a good first aid kit, and i give my wife detailed maps and plans of where i'll be hunting.  i felt like that was good enough...until last fall.  i lost my footing on a soft embankment and slid down toward a river.  i was able to grab onto a large tree that i was sliding under and stop myself, but if the tree would have dislodged itself and landed on me...well, i probably would have been pinned there for four days waiting for my wife to realize i wasn't home when i told her i would be. 

anyone know if you need a subscription with the ARC ResQLink like the SPOT?

wapiti_will, glad to hear you made it out of that one. Sounds hairy. There is no annual subscription with the ACR ResQLink, but there is with the SPOT and InReach systems.

It depends what you want out of the device. Devices such as the ACR ResQLink and McMurdo FastFind are strictly locator beacons for emergencies. So no texting while off the grid. Also, keep in mind that they do not have user replaceable batteries. If I remember correctly battery life is 5 years on the ResQlink and 6 years on the FastFind. Then send back to maker for battery swap on your dime. But they have no annual fee.

SPOT and InReach do have monthly fees to cover the texting services they provide. One way service for SPOT and 2 way service for InReach. These units have user replaceable batteries, but the overall cost is high due to monthly fees.

When I am out hunting I want to get away from it all, so to speak, so the texting service was not something I wanted. But everyone is different.

thanks Lucas, glad to hear the ResQLink doesn't require a subscription  I don't need the texting, so it sounds like the way to go for me.

I always carry a PLB even here in Missouri because there isn't cell phone coverage even in the Ozarks.  I would like to say about the “Spot”: the only problem with them you have pay a monthly charge and runs on second generation satellite technology and not very reliable. If you read the reviews on them, they are not rated very good. PLB's start a $250 and the batteries last four years, unless you need to deploy the antenna and use it. They are small enough you don't even know you are carring one. If used or the battery goes dead after four years, they can be sent back and fixed. Once you buy one you have to register them with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) with all your family information/emergency numbers at no cost. Then NOAA has you update your unit every four years to keep your contacts current. Some PLB's have strobe lights built in and when deployed, they send your exact GPS location to NOAA via satellite. NOAA then contact contacts emergency personnel and provides them with your location and family contact information. I got mine when I went to Wyoming in 2008. I wouldn't trust my life to anything else and a GPS to find my way home.

I use a SPOT and a couple of my backcountry hunting partners do as well.  We've never had any issues with it other than needing a fairly good view of clear sky.  Takes longer to lock on to satellites if you're in timber but still works.  You can send as many messages as you like and also set it up so friends an family can follow your progress whenever you send out a message.  The fee is only $99 annually, no monthly charges.  Seems fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind it gives family back home and you, if you need to send an SOS.  I really like mine, fwiw. 

I also use SPOT and have never had a problem. I've used it in every terrain from the Alberta prairies and rockies to the absolute most remote areas of northern Saskatchewan, i.e. a minimum 2 hours bush plane flight from the nearest sign of civilization, and it performed flawlessly in every location. I've also used it while in flight and it performed perfectly.

Edit: I also pay a yearly $99 fee, not a monthly one, although that may be due to the model that I use..I'm not sure. Also, don't forget that included in the yearly fee is 50-100 000 dollars worth of search and rescue insurance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back