Practice...

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
I posted in a different question that I have a hard time holding full draw for very long and got a couple of responses stating that it would be better for me to practice more often rather than for long times...

I believe the advice is good but wanted to know how much practice do most of the archers here put in?

20-40 arrows 5 times a week.  A couple of days, I will shoot more or split it into a couple of sessions.  I do practice holding for 30-45 seconds at a time periodically, trying to simulate that long hold.

I have a little range, 25 yards max set in my back yard, everyday I shoot at least 30 arrows, some times in the dark with the lights on, more to keep the repetition going than trying to hit the dot, then at least 3 times a week I hit the local range to shoot out to 70 yards, and will shoot about 50 arrows, I have found that since I shoot every day at the back yard range, I have been able to hold full draw a little longer,

I  practice holding the bow back for as long as I can at the end of every shooting session. by the end of the summer I can hold without shaking for  2 minutes or more.. I stand about 10 ft in front of the target...

I have a little range in my back yard up to 30 yards and i get out there usually every day if not every other day and shoot 30-50 hours from various shooting positions and angles.  You can also work on your full draw by holding it to your max and timing yourself.  There is also like rubber band workouts that are designed with the bow hunter in mind and will definitely help with your draw time.

You also might try using different work out techniques.
1. Bent row doing negative reps heavy weight. (both sides)
2. Bent row high reps low weights. (both sides)
3. Push ups.
4. Planks.
switch up your work out duration, time and frequency.
ps. Have fun. :D

I practice with my bow all year at about 72 lbs.  A few weeks before season I turn it down to 67.  This seemingly makes it much easier for me to hold. As long as you do not develop bad habits pulling the heavier wt!

I have practiced a bunch in the house just drawing and letting down.  I think my problem might be in holding the bow up and not due to the draw weight.  I usually hit this in the gym by holding a 15lb weight up for 10 second count butI just don't seem to be improving much.  I think I might shrug my shoulder up to much when aiming out to 40 yards.  It may be my setup.  If I draw back without aiming in a comfortable position I can hold for awhile. 

I like to shoot at long distances varying the location so I'm never comfortable every day with the same shot. Towards the end of the season I like shooting only 1 arrow at every pin and calling it a session. Trying to put emphasis on the one shot one kill idea. Not sure how much its working but its my summer routine.

dplumlee12 said:
I posted in a different question that I have a hard time holding full draw for very long and got a couple of responses stating that it would be better for me to practice more often rather than for long times...

I believe the advice is good but wanted to know how much practice do most of the archers here put in?

I've had the same problem and I actually developed a bit of target panic after getting a much lighter release which i am just now getting over.  It is good to break often while shooting so your arms don't get tired.  I usually shoot ten arrows or so, then break for 20 or 30 minutes, then shoot another ten, and break again.  On the last shot I try to hold it back as long as I can.  I try to shoot at least every other day

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back