Preferred mid day Menus

I did the pb honey and bacon thing on my last pack in for archery season. I must have over toasted the bread, they turned out pretty dry and hard to get down but they definitely filled me up.

Peanut butter, honey & bacon here as well. I use a lot of honey and only use super thick bacon. No wimpy thin slices here.

Oatmeal for breakfast, then grab a pre packed baggie with trail mix, snicker bites, beef jerky, a couple of power bars, and a bagel. I can be out all day and not have to return to camp until dinner, well after dark.

Mountain house is what I use about mid day or early afternoon before an evening hunt so I don't eat when I get back just in time to try to go to sleep. Mountain House is great for about 3-5 days but man do I get tired of it fast. MRE's are not for me either. How do you all mix it up so you don't get tired of the Mountain house?

I snack all day. Miday is usually a whole wheat bagle with peanut butter & honey. Packs alot better than bread

Breakfast is usually just a bowl or cereal or something light. For mid day I like have a sandwich and munch on some jerky cause I know my dinner is not going to be until about 9 PM or so.

The past few seasons I start out my morning with a Metrx Big 100 Colossal Bar (380 calories) and a big bottle of water. This usually holds me fine for several hours. If I stop before lunch time i'll eat trail mix or sesame seed snaps with peanut butter or them. Lunch time is generally a peanut butter, bacon, and honey on a bagel. After lunch is the same as before. If I am doing to bivy gig I will finish the night with as much water as I can muster and a mountain house.

One thing that has really helped at least on the dinner side because we get back to camp so late at night is have a lot of dinners pre-cooked and frozen before we go hunting so when we get back to camp there is a dinner already thawed out and all we have to do is heat it up. No cooking and a lot less cleaning so we can get to bed at a decent time every night ;)

My advice would be not to have caffeine to keep you going.  After it wears off you will get a crash effect.  Carbs and fruit if you want an energy spike like that.

I wouldn't want to skip the caffeine. I don't need a lot, but I need it and enjoy a cup of coffee every day.

I didn't read all the replies, so I apologize if I'm simply repeating what someone else has already said.

I backpack for upwards of 6 days at a time, we actually did a 9-day stint this year with one trip back to the trailhead where my pop-up was.

I, personally, have to have a good breakfast.  It's just how my body operates.  So, I wake earlier to account for that.  One serving of malt-o-meal is 4 tbsp, I ration out 5 tbsp into a non-zip sandwich bag (just roll it up, lick the tab, and it sticks shut) with a little sugar and cinnamon.  I add boiling water until it reaches my desired texture.  at the same time, I have filter packs of coffee that I drop in boiling water.  Sorry to rant about breakfast, but it affects my mid-day menu.

We hunt the morning hard, but quiet (little to no calling) covering lots of ground trying to catch the elk moving back toward beds.  At about 0800, we break out the Levi Garrett, which keeps our mind off food for a while.  By this time, the thermals are switching and if we haven't located the elk, we have to turn back and go the other way.  When we actually sit down to eat something, we make a break out of it.  Boots off, socks off draped over boots inside out, short nap... you know the drill.  Before I pass out, I eat 3 or 4 food items.  This generally includes a nature valley honey/oat bar, some kind of tasteful bar with protein or a PB/Honey/Bacon wrap (I prefer to use a tortilla), and something sweet.

I've learned that having tasty food is worth it.  I do bring a couple pemmican bars but generally eat them 1/2 at a time just b/c they're not all that tasty.

Man, what a ramble... sorry.

I like MREs or mountain house for mid day. I try to keep it somewhat light, but enough energy to keep me going

The only bit I can add to this discussion is the "fruit and nut medley" from costco.  It is awesome.  Tasty dried and candied fruits mixed with lots of mixed nuts.  Also I have native berry patches mapped out in my favorite areas which are a backdrop for mid-day naps. Food you don't pack in is a bonus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back