Preseason workout

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
Well I am about to start working out hardcore for this coming elk season. I am currently deployed so all I have is time to work and workout. What are somethings that have really worked for getting in top shape? I plan on lots of lifting, core conditioning and cardio and more cardio.

My state of conditioning is the worst it has ever been. Surgerys to my stomach and planters facilias in my right foot have been challenging to get over so now I am trying to get ready for elk season. Weight training and cardio is great in a gym. I would do a lot of step up conditioning. Nothing beats putting on a back pack and weighing it down and start climbing trails.

Also lots of cardio.

When the weather finally gets nice and the snow leaves I have a lot of places I want to scout that I have found on google earth so I will be hiking with a weighted pack and possibly hiking with a few tree stands.

Being from the Gulf Coast and FLAT land, I run 3 times a week, do push ups and squats as soon as I roll out of bed every weekday (100 each), and in June I'll be climbing stairs at the local high school stadium twice a week......with weighted pack for an hour at first then up to 2 and maybe three before I leave for Colorado. The one thing I cannot replicate here is altitude, not effectively.

You need an Elevation Training Mask. They help quite a bit. I live in Colorado and I use one to replicate the additional 5000 feet in elevation that I gain when hunting.

http://www.trainingmask.com/

(I have no affiliation with these guys, this is just what I use)

bruceleroy said:
You need an Elevation Training Mask. They help quite a bit. I live in Colorado and I use one to replicate the additional 5000 feet in elevation that I gain when hunting.

http://www.trainingmask.com/

(I have no affiliation with these guys, this is just what I use)

I've been looking at these and have read many studies about their results. The "studies" are split about down the middle as to whether they help or not. I tend to lean towards they can't hurt and have been really thinking about buying one. The one thing I wish it was capable of doing is increasing my VO2 max but we can't have everything, lol. 

For most people, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is what is needed. It increases aerobic, anaerobic and power. Not saying you shouldn't lift weights but it should not be the main thing you do. Kettle bells during HIIT have increased every aspect of my fitness over the past few months. Instead of dreading the opening of the season I am looking forward to it.

HIIT for those of you at sea level would be very important. Coming to places like Colorado is very tough if you aren't prepared physically. Core and legs are vital for a good pack out. Get the best workout you can as soon as possible and with a high level of regularity will increase your chance of being ready for a 8 to 10 thousand foot increase in elevation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back